Check my thinking please on system selection

I have never had a problem getting a NET-ENI to communicate with a Panelview (standard, not PV+). I'm not sure what you mean about the number of communication lines.

Yeah it was jibberish to me at the time, but it stuck in my head that not all ehternet devices are created the same. It probably was not the NET-ENI, I was just using that as an example.

Stu

stuman said:
But if the system works better than the current USB based controller, it would go to AI 24, AO 4, Relay DO 40, DO 4 DI 4. That is my main reason at this point intime, leaning towards the 5/05.

I'd favour the 5/05 also, one thing i also do is fit a hirschmann hub in the panel for ease of connection to ethernet devices. That way if you enable the G3 for ethernet upload you just need one cable plugged into the hub to connect to both the G3 & 5/05.

For the setup that I am proposing, do I really need a switch, would a hub work just as well in this situation? I dont understand the differences.

Stu

Forget hubs. They belong to the anals of history.
A switch is an intelligent hub so to speak. If you need to know more then use wiki.

Now, if you want to save a bit (and it does sound like it is your priority) then dont install an industrial ethernet switch in the panel.
In stead, have a cheap switch in your bag of tools. It takes 30 seconds to hook up, and then you have online access to both HMI and PLC, and they also have access to each other.

I use this one, which costs 35 Euro (!) and is smaller than a deck of cards:
LBS005_detail_v10_m56577569830556843.gif

Can someone tell me if any of the micrologix line supports online updating of the program, like the SLC range does?

Thanks
Stu

This was what I was trying to talk about earlier.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36075&highlight=1500+ethernet

the reason i asked was to see what was communicating to the 1500.

the eni module can only handle 6 ports of ethernet communications packets (2 in, 2 out, and 2 can be either way).

a panelview plus terminal requires 5 of the 6 for example.

regards,
james
With this in mind, if I HAD to use a ML1500 with the 1761-NET-ENI and a switch and a G3 display, would this setup work? If I plugged my laptop into the switch, could I program the ML1500 and the G3 on the same connection?

Thanks
Stu

I have used a G3 with a 1761-NET-ENI on a number of occasions and I can assure you that it works flawlessly. Use the "DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP" driver in Crimson.

If you add an Ethernet hub or switch to the mix, then yes you will be able to program both from your laptop. I do this all the time.