checking input and output

glukane

Hi, how do I find out if my input or output work or not.
I have a switch probe and a indicator light. I'm using omron zen v3 to program. I check my connection continuity and voltage manually, it works fine, light turns on when I use a wire to connect my in and out. my mean question is how do i see the input turn 0 to 1 and output turn 0 to 1 in the plc. I can't seem to see in the plc when I running the software plus it doesn't turn light on. input I1, output q1. same in the plc.
any input will greatly appreciate. thanks.

Glukane,
To make the ZEN turn on Output Q1 when Input I1 is ON, you must:
Write a program that tells the ZEN to do the above! One rung should be all that you need.

| INPUT 1 OUTPUT 1 |
| I1 Q1 |
|----| |--------------( )----|

1. Write program, then
2. Perform "Program Check" from ZEN menu, then
3. Click the Start/Stop Simulator Button on the Toolbar, or select ZEN(Z)/Start/Stop Simulator from the Menu Bar.

4. When the simulator is started, the background color will change to yellow and the RUN, STOP, ZEN Image Display, Present Value List Display, Clock Display, and Start/Stop Simulator Buttons on the Toolbar will be enabled. Also, depending on the content of the ladder program, the ZEN Image Window, the Present Value List Window, and the Clock Window will be opened.

5. To start the simulation, click the RUN Button on the Toolbar. The simulator ZEN will change to RUN mode and the ladder program will be executed.

6. To stop the simulation, click the STOP Button on the Toolbar.​

Last edited:
Hey lancie1, thanks for reply, I think my problem is my wire connection. I wrote that simple program and it runs on my similution but does not turn on when I push the switch probe. the switch probe normal open, so when you push it should close. I've my positive wire connect from omron zen v3 positive to one of the switch and the other negative wire to my input. I have a wire connect from positve to common. It's list NPN on connection. I' still troubleshooting to see if I needed to connect a wire from negative to my input.

I've my positive wire connect from omron zen v3 positive to one of the switch and the other negative wire to my input. I have a wire connect from positve to common.
It sounds like you may not have it wired correctly. A switch (on/off input device) should NOT be wired like an NPN device. If you have some switch inputs AND some NPN inputs, then you need to use a "Positive Common" instead of a negative common as shown below. If you ARE using the Positive common, then "the other negative wire to my input" is not correct either. It should go from 24 VDC- to switch, switch to PLC, PLC COM to 24 DC+

These diagrams are the correct wiring for a ZEN V1 SWITCH input, but the V3 should be similar.

If it is not really a SWITCH that you are talking about, then disregard this message.

TIP: The basic laws of electricity have not been repealed. Whatever wiring you use, it must make a complete circuit (a loop starting on one side of the incoming power supply and ending on the other side of the power supply). You should be able to trace the power coming in on the DC+ wire, going to the PLC AND a switch, from the switch to the PLC Input, internally from Input isolation module to PLC COM terminal, from COM back to DC-. If you cannot see a complete circuit, then it probably will not work.

ZEN_Negative_Common_Inputs2.JPG ZEN_Positive_Common_Inputs2.JPG

Last edited: