Communication between redlion vfd and gate way

andrebutler32

I was wondering if anybody knew what problem I am having when I daisy chain my redlion hmi with my gateway device and the communication is fine, but as soon as I daisy chain my vfd with my hmi redlion, The communication is lost between my gateway and redlion display. I am using rs485 serial port for all my devices and I cut the end of all cable wire so I am able to daisy chain all devices together. Does anybody have an idea of what could be happening? I am assuming it could be an address problem.

Last edited:
Too many possibilities, too little information. You need to provide details, part numbers of the devices, the type of communications network, the protocol the devices are using for communications.

First and only WAG, duplicate IP address.

Well, it wouldn't be an IP address if using RS-485, but the idea is valid. Most likely if you left everything at default values, both of the devices are set to node address 01.

120 ohm resistors at each end is common.
Also somewhat common is for the devices to have some means of attaching their internal terminator resistor (a switch or jumper).

Okay thank you all for the replies. I am using the V1000, DX80G9M6S-PM2 gateway AND G15 GRAPHITE hmi(redlion), but now I am just trying to get the vfd to communicate with redlion hmi. I am using rs485 serial communication and plunging each side of the cables into rj45 ports. I know my gateway communicates with my redlion display, but now I am trying to set up my communication with my vfd for which I am struggling with. My initial issue was when I daisy chain them all together, I lost communication between my gateway HMI but when i isolate my connection using solely my gateway and hmi, my communication works fine. So, know I am isolating the v1000 (vfd) and the redlion display to see if i can get communication by using the rs 485 serial port with rj45 entry ports which is valid, but I just have to learn how to configure the set up.

Last edited:
with the address i was meaning assigning each individual device (gateway)(vfd) and some how on the redlion display to access that address so I would be able to control everything on my redlion display

Give Banner Tech support a call, they are very good at getting the Gateway setup with other devices. 888.373-6767