Communication saturation between InTouch HMIs and AB 1756-L82E/B

doomsword

Hi guys, seems that our HMIs are making too many CIP connections to PLCs (application connections) and we reach 256 max limit.
After that no connection can be achieved with PLC.

We use Wonderware InTouch 2017 SP2 and AB 1756-L82E PLCs fw 31.

Is there some patch for ABCIP drivers from Wonderware to fix this or we have done something really wrong on configuration for HMIs?
We don't use server-client InTouch application, but each HMI is its server (in total 8 HMIs).

8 stand-alone HMIs connected to the L82's Ethernet port?!

I think you might want to 'slightly' alter your approach to this task.

First, the L8x 1G Ethernet port is intended to be used for IO Class communications and not for multiple, third party driver, Multicast/Broadcast (HMI) connectivity.

I'd strongly suggest using of at least one dedicated , upper tier Ethernet bridge such as the 1756-EN4TR for the HMI subnet service; this will increase the connection availability to 528.

Even then, eight stand-alone HMIs on the same subnet is not the type of architecture I would recommend. This is a topology typically addressed by distributed HMI systems where a dedicated HMI Server provides data to client applications thus lifting the burden off the CPU forced to 'talk' to eight 'clients' instead of one.

8 stand-alone HMIs connected to the L82's Ethernet port?!

I think you might want to 'slightly' alter your approach to this task.

First, the L8x 1G Ethernet port is intended to be used for IO Class communications and not for multiple, third party driver, Multicast/Broadcast (HMI) connectivity.

I'd strongly suggest using of at least one dedicated , upper tier Ethernet bridge such as the 1756-EN4TR for the HMI subnet service; this will increase the connection availability to 528.

Even then, eight stand-alone HMIs on the same subnet is not the type of architecture I would recommend. This is a topology typically addressed by distributed HMI systems where a dedicated HMI Server provides data to client applications thus lifting the burden off the CPU forced to 'talk' to eight 'clients' instead of one.

I know, I was surprised to see they designed it as 8 stand-alone. Usually it's client-server, with server redundancy.
For IO scanning EN2T card is used, while built-in port is used for everything else (HMI connection, PLC to PLC communication, programming connection).

I see ABCIP inside Wonderware SMC offers to limit CIP connections. How would reducing this affect the system?
Now it's limited to 31 for each PLC in each HMI.

And 8 stand alone servers are much more expensive than one server and 8 clients.

Unless it's not really a server and it's client-type computer really. It's basically mid-level desktop computer I've seen being used as client on other projects. Just running IO server also.

Reducing the WW 'connectivity footprint' will most likely impede the intended 'pps' (packets per second) rate; HMI data refresh rate will probably take a nose dive.

If there is an available empty slot in the local chassis the HMI subnet will need to be bridged there; EN2(3)Ts have the same 256 connections limit; 8 x 31 = 248; you'd have 8 'spares' left; you might be able to get by with another EN2T, however, this would still be a 'getting by' approach.

Do each of the HMI running Wonderware have an IO Server? I would point all the HMIs to 1 or 2 IO servers to significantly reduce traffic. This will also reduce the license cost as client with I/O is significantly more expensive then with out. there are also ways to make the I/O servers redundant adding some flexibility if one goes down.

Do each of the HMI running Wonderware have an IO Server? I would point all the HMIs to 1 or 2 IO servers to significantly reduce traffic. This will also reduce the license cost as client with I/O is significantly more expensive then with out. there are also ways to make the I/O servers redundant adding some flexibility if one goes down.

I cannot change the design of HMI system. They all have IO server designed/sold to the client like that or client requested something like that.
Now we guys on site must make it work. :p

The Intouch has a Primary/Secondary server option. You can setup one HMI as the primary and the local HMI as the Secondary. At least then you only have one HMI scanning the PLC.