CompactLogix End Caps

Abn

Hi,
I have a spare compactlogix that I want to use for testing, but I dont have the end caps.

Is there a way to bypass this?

I just want to use the controller without I/O modules.

Thanks

It was never mentioned what CompactLogix series it was.

The 5380's just have a piece of plastic you slide down the end to cover the back plane connection from module to module. No need for a terminating cover.

A-B still want's a pile for them tho...

Last edited:
The 1769 "CompactBus" is the most common CompactLogix I/O bus, and it does have a passive electronic terminator. The 1769-ECR has been around since the days of the MicroLogix 1500, maybe 20 years ago.

You can inhibit all the I/O connections and run the controller without the end cap, if you wish.

In general, the backplane won't run correctly without an end cap in place.

Abn said:
...I just want to use the controller without I/O modules...

OK, so you don't need to inhibit anything in this case.

The 1769-ECR end cap is definitely only required for the relevant CompactLogix controllers if there are local 1769 I/O modules present. The same may be said for the MicroLogix 1500 without any local 1769 I/O modules - no end cap is required. The controller may be used on its own. However, in a running system, it would of course not be advisable to install just a controller without the end cap(s). At the least they keep out dust and prevent inadvertent contact or shorting of the socket pins.

Also, if you wanted to just use this controller on the bench for testing, but at a certain firmware revision that is not currently flashed to the controller, say go from r17 to r20, then you would need the 1769-ECR end cap fitted to perform the firmware flash.

Hopefully that is not the case here? But either way, I would definitely be purchasing a "relatively" inexpensive end cap as opposed to attempting to replicate an end cap with resistors or loops. But, then again, where is the fun in that and when needs must?

I do recall a thread here some time ago with some member attempting this?...I'll have a look see...

1769-ECR... are they required??

Ah, very good Ken, you had dissected the end cap circuit and LoganB was going to try it (sacrifice!) his test controller. We didn't really reach a conclusion though, pity?

Any more volunteers!?!

I have a few 1769-L31 controllers in the stores that will never be used here again. I could try wire one to blow, but I just don't have the spare time at the moment. :eek:

p.s. I can get a 1769-ECR here from Radionics for €26.52 - not bad. Although I do just get them through the distributor with the controller, etc.

Oh, just checked a recent quote and good discount -

1 EA 1769-ECR CompactLogix Right End Cap €21.80 EA -8.00% €20.06

G.

Last edited:
LoganB's last forum post was June 21st, 2019, 03:22 PM
He talked about testing the home made end cap on March 6th, 2018, 04:11 PM
From this I infer that the setup neither caused a massive explosion, nor sucked LoganB into another dimension.
Or maybe it did take him that long to find the necessary time and resources.

It's a L32E.
The setup I have is just the controller and the power supply.
The I /o blinks and the controller went into major fault.
Type 03) I/O Fault, (Code 23) At least one required connection not established before going into RUN mode.

I thought the problem was the end cap.
I disabled the bus and now the controller is fine.

It's a L32E.
The setup I have is just the controller and the power supply.
The I /o blinks and the controller went into major fault.
Type 03) I/O Fault, (Code 23) At least one required connection not established before going into RUN mode.

I thought the problem was the end cap.
I disabled the bus and now the controller is fine.

There is a check box that you can click on under each I/O module's configuration/set-up dialog screens that will trigger the controller to go in to a Fault if a module error is detected if that option is checked. Just uncheck it?