CompactLogix Module Firmware Upgrade

terry56

Does anybody know of a way I can upgrade a CompactLogix Module Firmware?
We bought some "new" ones from EBay, but the firmware is 1.1

You use ControlFlash or ControlFlash Plus. New out of box controllers come with 1.x firmware in them. Every new one needs to be flashed. The version you choose should match the major version of software you own.

wow, ebay part is brand new, shocking,
if you really want to know if all your hardware is at correct firmware/software level is go to rockwell's compatibility matrix. It will show you that all your hardware will work together with know issues or how to correct it, and what is the best firmware level for your system.

Thanks,
Just don't want to give a customer multiple Firmware.

I just need a tool to upgrade the firmware. I got a feeling that it doesn't exist.

What exact part numbers are the modules ?

Not all RA products are field upgradable. Some 1769 and 1734 I/O modules, in particular, cannot be upgraded from their factory firmware.

If you're asking "can someone provide the RA factory JTAG and toolset because ControlFlash doesn't do what I want" then that's something you probably aren't going to get.

Thank you !

There's a good firmware compatibility list for 1769 I/O and the modern generation of "5370" series CompactLogix, like the 1769-L2x and -L3x.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/522303/loc/en_US (Access Level: Everyone).

Fortunately the 1769-IF8 Series A FRN 1.1 is compatible with those controllers.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of months of 1769-IF8 module production in 2018 that were the subject of a service notice that they might have been manufactured with the wrong firmware. It is possible that the ones you bought were available on eBay specifically because they were taken out of service or stock because of that possibility.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1086100/loc/en_US (Access Level: Everyone).

In addition, there's a bug in 2.001 firmware that can cause incorrect readings when a channel is set for 4-20mA and Raw/Proportional input. The bug was fixed in 2.002.

While I understand the desire to ship a uniform set of firmware, I don't think there is a field tool for updating the firmware in ordinary 1769 I/O modules.