computer programming langauges Slightly (OT)

Take a 'Structured Programming' course... One of the best courses I've ever taken.

My class used C and C++, which is secondary because the concepts that I learned in that class have applied in everything from computer networking to using stacks and pointers in ladder. Also because of that course, I find it easier to learn new languages without as much effort.

Give yourself a good base to work from and the rest will come easy.

Norht Carolina is located underneath North Carolina. I have an AAS in Electrical Eng. Tech.. I am also pursuing a BS in Elec Eng from UNC Charlotte via distance Ed. I work as an electronics engineering technician at a local manufacturing facility. However, my boss (the real EE) does not invole me much and I am on my own 90% of the time. The goal of this thread was to determine what specific programming language would provide the best foundation for learning others so that I might enrich my learning experience both at work and my new scholastic endeavor. I am at present more of an electro/mechanic that would like to put some programming skills in his toolbox.

monkeyhead said:
Take a 'Structured Programming' course... One of the best courses I've ever taken.

My class used C and C++, which is secondary because the concepts that I learned in that class have applied in everything from computer networking to using stacks and pointers in ladder. Also because of that course, I find it easier to learn new languages without as much effort.

Give yourself a good base to work from and the rest will come easy.
Thanks everyone. I think I will take all the structured programming classes offered at my community college. I feel that this is an important skill that WILL be called upon soon.

Mickey said:
rsdoran said Quote"BTW did know you misspelled North in your profile?"

Then he is an engineer.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if he had misspelled North and then argued that it was South.

The best thing I ever did in school was take C++ first. Steeper learning curve over the other languages but it's a strong foundation that carries over to most of the other programming flavors I've come across.

Steve

Just to say that I agree with monkeyhead.
At the end, if it is C, VB, Pascal, or something else, it doesn't matter. If you can program one, you can program all of them. You just have to learn how to make a good sequence.

Like personal background, I learnt Basic at the end of primary school, then I took a course in Cobol. In the university, we get Pascal.
After that, I used Delphi, Assembler, C++, VB, and now also Ladder, all of them without course. It 'almost' as easy as to change the name of the sentences.