Confirming Siemens PC/PPI cable

whtrader

Does anyone know how to test Siemens PC/PPI cable(6ES7 901-3BF00-0XA0) to make sure it is working? Also can we connect to a Siemens PLC S7-200 CPU 224 when it is run mode or should I stop it using the physical switch?

Does anyone know how to test Siemens PC/PPI cable(6ES7 901-3BF00-0XA0) to make sure it is working?
It should be easy. Select the wanted baudrate on the cable. Connect a 24Vdc power source to the PPI side of the cable, +24V at point 7, 0V at point 2. Connect the differential input of an oscilloscope to the points 8 and 3. Plug the PC side of the cable in a COM port of your PC. Start hyperterminal up and set the COM port to the same baudrate as the cable, 1 stopbit, even parity and no handshaking. Now if you type something on the PC, you should be able to see the bitpattern on the oscilloscope screen.
Also can we connect to a Siemens PLC S7-200 CPU 224 when it is run mode or should I stop it using the physical switch?
If it was necessary to place the PLC in stop mode to connect, it would be impossible to monitor the program. So the answer is yes, you can.

Regards,

jvdcande said:
If it was necessary to place the PLC in stop mode to connect, it would be impossible to monitor the program. So the answer is yes, you can.

by the way, if u r config the com port of S7-200 in "freeport" mode in program. u must place the PLC in stop mode, for S7 micro/win just support MPI/PPI/DP communication.

zeuszeus said:
by the way, if u r config the com port of S7-200 in "freeport" mode in program. u must place the PLC in stop mode, for S7 micro/win just support MPI/PPI/DP communication.
This is not completely correct. Regardless of what the programming port is used for in the program, if the PLC is in the STOP position then the port is always configured as PPI.
If you are using freeport mode on the PLC, then it is also possible to provide logic in your program to switch from freeport to PPI and back without putting the PLC in stop mode. You could make it so that the port is in freeport mode when the mode switch is in the RUN position and in the PPI mode if the switch is changed to REM, as can be seen in one of the examples provided by Siemens I think.

Kind regards,