Connecting my pc to s7200 Siemens

Ned_Flanders

This may seem a daft question but I am having trouble connecting my laptop to an S7 200 plc. On my old computer (win 98) I uase the serial ppi lead no problem but I loaded the software onto a newer (Win 2000 prof) machine. If I open the communications it has defaulted to "PC adapter MPi". I tried to add "PC/PPI" via install but it does not!

I wonder if the problem may be due to me using a usb/serial port adaptor as my newer laptop does not have a serial port!

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Markie,
If you are using a USB to Serial adapter make sure the USB port is set to the correct com port ie com port 1. I have used usb-ser successfully however one issue that came up was the make of the adapter some cheaper models failed to work (maybe because of the basic driver that came with them) these days i use a Belkin adapter i am afraid its buy and test it if not buy another one. You will need this to work as the only way to reboot and clear the memory of S7 200 is through the use of the PPI cable.
Good Luck

My usb - ser works ok with MPI, on Com port 2, but the problem seems to be the fact that it will not allow me to install the ppi interface. I click "Install" the "Egg timer" comes up but the ppi cable does not move into the right hand Installed list. I can use my old laptop but this will fail eventually!!