Connecting to a Powerflex 523/Powerflex 4 and Uploading/Downloading info.

TheRooster

Hello everyone,

I am trying to upload some parameters from a powerflex 523, and download them to a new powerflex 4. First problem is I’m not able to connect to the powered on 523. I’m looking on RS-Linx, but in the manual I’m reading I’m supposed to be seeing. A new driver in the device manager that I installed, but It’s not populating. Right now I have a (USB Serial Port) driver I’ve used to connect to a plc in the past, and am currently trying to use that one because I’m basically using the same cable.
I’m using an AB 9300 cable that goes from USB to RS-232, then I’m connecting that to a 22-SCM-232 cable/converter I have, and from there ethernet to the drive. Is this the issue? In the manual I’m supposed to use a Powerflex 1203 USB Converter. I was hoping since this 22-SCM-232 is so similar it would work, the main difference being It converts to 232 which I then convert back to USB, instead of just a cable to ethernet like the 1203. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense, attached pics of the cables I’m using.

Also beyond that once I get connected I’m just going by the manuals to read the parameters to CCW, modify them if necessary, and then write them to the new drive. I’ve never done this before so any advice is much appreciated.

22-SCM-232.jpg AB9300.png

The Drives are not ethernet they are RS-485, even though it looks like ethernet it is not, you should have to set up your RS232 driver in RSLinx to suit the 11-SCM-232 using the com port number of the 9300. I tried to find out how to configure RSLinx from the manual but it does not say how, but I found a TechNote that says to configure RSLinx add a RS232 DF1 devices, then you select the com port, then1771-KF2 for the device, 9600 Baud, Station 00, Parity of Non, CRC error checking, Stop bits 1, Full Duplex Protocol, do not click on Auto-Configure.
TechNote QA26627/Access Everyone.

Thanks, I was in fact using the DF1 driver for the 9300 and reconfigured it according to the settings, no luck yet. I am switched the ethernet cable I was using to the cable with RJ45 connectors that came in the pouch with the DSI converter, still no luck. I am not sure how to tell whether a cable is RS-485 compatible but I'll look into it.

The port on a PF523 and any PF4?? are using DSI protocol, whereas the PF7?? are using DPI or Scanport protocol.

You may need a Null Modem cable between the 9300 and the 22-SCM-232, I would give that a try, we use the 1203-USB (I believe that they are not very dear) as it comes with 2 leads one for each of the 2 different types of protocol and connectors.

Yeah I tried quite a few things, in the end I'm convinced it's the cable and will be ordering a 1203 for the future. Unfortunately it looks like I will be spending a lot of time in front of a front panel today haha thanks anyways