Connection from laptop to micrologix 1500

ksa858

I recently replaced my old laptop with a DELL LATITUDE that has the Windows 7 environment. This new laptop does not have a serial port type connection, usb only. I was using the A-B 1747-CP3 programming cable before to download to the MICROLOGIX 1500 LRP with the old laptop. What cable should I be using now?

If you were using true serial port before, then you could just use a usb to serial adapter on your new laptop and connect to the same cable you have always used.

BCS

I have a 1747-UIC USB to SERIAL converter but I don't think the driver used for this converter is compatible with Windows 7.

In my experience the cheapest USB/RS232 converters work inconsistently. I used to have a drawer full of them, but threw them out so they could not waste anyone else's time.

The best value and most consistently compatible USB/RS232 converter on the market is the Keyspan/Tripplite USA-19HS. You will see it recommended repeatedly here on the Forum.

The 1747-UIC is a very specific device that converts from DF1 protocol over USB to DH485 protocol over RS-232 or RS-485.

On the network side it supports ONLY DH485. It does not support DF1 or ASCII or Modbus or Telnet or PPP or anything else on the network side.

While some MicroLogix controllers are connected to DH485 networks, when you download to them usually they are set for the default DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

It is also very common to download to a MicroLogix 1500 by using the DCOMM button to switch it into "Default Comms" mode so that the Channel 0 serial port (the round Mini-DIN port) is set for DF1 Full Duplex.

As an added note, the Keyspan converter will require you to download the correct device driver, or depending on the vendor, be provided with the device. Also, if you are still having issues, compare the device settings in the Windows device manager to the settings in RSLinx, as well as the channel settings in the PLC program.

Adam C.

I ordered a TRIPP-LITE USA-19HS and received it yesterday. I was able to connect to the Micrologix with no problem. Thanks everybody for your input.