Consulting on Automation - a new hat !!!

Orn Jonsson

Hi fellars,

I am looking for broad guidelines and principles (and probably literature too), related to design of a brand new automated process line or lines.
Basically I want to arm myself with the knowledge necessary for me to go to a client and say this is how you should set up your process and this is why (from an automation perspective). What criteria rules the way an automated process is set up (cost left out)?

In the near future may be in a position to have a big say in how a new fully automated assembly line will be gonfigured and automated. I just need an angle on how you approach a job like that.

Later,

Hi. First you have to know the process better than nearly anyone else at the plant, then you need to combine that with your knowledge of the capabilities of differing control methods. Easy 2 step process (NOT)
Regards Alan Case

Well that one got kind of ignored...

Here is one for you Alan Case.

"The person who knows how will always have a job. But the person who knows why will always be his boss."
-Carl C. Wood

My point being, to move out of the "how" into the "why" takes a new set of skills.
By posting this thread I thought maby it would generate some leads for literature on Process Flow Theories, Process optimization etc.. Or someone might post some rules of thumb, you know, practical simple process knowledge which you guys use without even thinking about it.

Later

Orn, you mistook my answer for jest.
I said you need to know the process. That means how AND why something is done the way it is. This is not as easy as it seems. You, the same as I are probably trained as an electrician, so when you go to say a corn beef canning line you need to learn a whole lot more in a short time. The plant manager will know the different ways to cook, pickle & whatever the meat and how they want it canned. You have the automation knowledge. I have found that a description of what they want done is not good enough as most managers do not realise the capabilities of automation today. If you can learn the process and why things are done then you can offer suggestions that your competitors cannot. Regards Alan Case