Control Systems P.E. License - Qualifications?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
All,

I have a question regarding one of the requirements required to qualify to take the P.E. exam (in the USA). I realize the requirements vary state to state but most share similar experience requirements.

In my state (NH), with a 4-year engineering degree from ABET accredited institution, the Board requires 4 years of engineering experience under a P.E..

I have 6 years of experience, essentially as a system integrator, and want to take the Controls Systems PE exam.

Upon contacting the Board they replied that in order to make any exception I must write a letter to the board explaining why I am not able to work under a PE and why my experience should be accepted.

My concerns are:
1) What type of experience / items would they look for in lieu of working under a PE? The "letter of explanation" seems a bit vague and I'd rather have something from which to make justifications.

2) How common are Control Systems PEs? I have only encountered one person is a PE in Control Systems. From my understanding the CS exam was a "newer" addition to the exam offerings. It also does seem to be that common, but I don't have any data to back this up. Essentially it appears my opportunities to work under a PE have been slim.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

the exact requirements vary with the different professional engineering associations for each geographical area, and the judgement of the specific panel you are dealing with.

The engineering work experience is meant to be directly supervised by a P. Eng. Working in a cutting edge field where there are not many P. Eng or working at a small company where there are not any engineers could be reasons why your work has not been as supervised as it could have been. Peer review is an important part of engineering. Have any P. Eng. seen any of your work, or do you interact with any P. Eng. on your projects?

I was in a similar position where my engineering experience had been done without the direct supervision of a licensed P.E., but my state had a new exception to that rule for employees of manufacturing companies. When I wrote to the Board for clarification, they told me I was the first applicant under that new rule and that I should just 'apply and see'. They accepted my application and I passed the exam.

I'll assume you have the appropriate degree, and that you took and passed the F.E. exam, since those are preconditions that would make you eligible after only 6 years.

The key phrases in the applicable New Hampshire rules are very similar to what I've read elsewhere:

"4 years of accumulated engineering experience under the direction of a licensed professional engineer and satisfactory to the board"

"Experience shall be progressive on engineering projects to indicate that it is of increasing quality and requiring greater responsibility"

"Only work of an engineering nature shall be credible"

"Experience shall be gained under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer or if not, an explanation shall be made showing why the experience should be considered acceptable"

You'll want to show that you're an engineer doing designs, for example, rather than principally an assembler or troubleshooter or programmer implementing somebody else's designs.

You'll want to describe the increasing responsibility that you have taken during your career.

And you'll want to write about how great your boss is: if you have a manager, supervisor, or owner of the company who is very experienced, very educated, or very well regarded in the industry, that's going to weigh on the Board's decision to accept his or her guidance of you as being equivalent of that of a P.E.. When I put down my former boss as a reference, I told him I was insisting on calling him 'Commander, USN (Retired)', rather than 'Jack'.

The requirement for new applicants to be trained or managed by an existing P.E. is both one of established competency and experience as well as the careful respect for risk that is drilled into people who depend on their professional licenses. P.E. licensure is typically required for projects that serve the public: construction, power transmission, public works, that sort of thing. One of the aims of the Board is to license very careful people who understand the technology, the industry, and most importantly their own limitations.

Most states are most interested in references from PE's. However, the fundamental objective of requiring qualifying experience is to establish that you have exhibited engineering judgment and proficiency while applying engineering education and training. The boards also want to make sure that you have demonstrated good professional character and ethical behavior. The objective is to insure that you are qualified to be placed in responsible charge of engineering work that will affect public safety.

The PEs used as reference don't have to be specifically controls engineers - any PE in any discipline (electrical, civil, mechanical, etc.) that is familiar with your work can provide a reference.

The problem is that most PEs are involved in public works or utilities. Most control engineers are involved in manufacturing or private industry of one sort or another. Most states do not require a PE for engineers in industry employment that does not impact or interface with the public, and frankly for most industrial settings there is little advantage in having a PE license. That, as you note, results in very little opportunity for a young professional in controls to work under the direct personal supervision of a PE.

I would use that as the basis of your letter to the board. Include some of the underlined "hot button" phrases in your explanation. Include references from employers, clients, and supervisors verifying your technical competence, your sound engineering judgment, your professional character, and your high level of personal ethics.

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

To answer some of your questions, I have a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and have passed the FE my Senior year in college (about 6 years ago).

While I don't work under his supervision, I do know PE whom I have worked with. I'm unsure if I could reference him in my exception letter. That said, the bulk of my work is control system design (not troubleshooting). My previous employer is CSIA certified (consecutively) and is relatively well known in the industry, so I am sure that may help.

I currently don't have an immediate use for the P.E. (many are of the opinion it is useless in my current job function), but organizations like ISA and such seem to be pushing professional certifications lately (ISA in particular the CAP exam). I figure it can / may help me down the road. It may or may not be the correct motivations for obtaining a PE, but like several of you have said, things are different in the private sector.

Last edited: