Controls Systems Jobs in France Paris?

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any controls jobs in Paris France, it doesn't need to be a full time position, part time is fine as well, i really want to see that part of the world, and if anyone knows of a website for job opening in that area please let me know.s

no steve i don't speak french, isn't that what google translate if for lol, but i did encounter some PLC code that i had to modify that was in french, thats when i realized google translate to be a powerful tool

You could try to hire on to US Subsidiaries with headquarters in Paris, France. Two large ones that come to mind are Michelin Tire and Saint-Gobain (parent company to CertainTeed and Ball Glass). I worked for both and had opportunities for work in Paris with Michelin. And Michelin was all about Grafcets...I cut my teeth on learning PLC's in structured Grafcet form and that methodology carries me to this day.

thanks for the reply @ steve and robertmee, im assuming Grafcets are commonly known as SFC, please correct me if im wrong. @ robertmee if you don't mind me asking, how was your experience working in Paris, do you speak french, if you don't speak french was the language barrier a challenge? PM if you want.

EDIT*** also what kind if PLC's did you use often

Last edited:
thanks for the reply @ steve and robertmee, im assuming Grafcets are commonly known as SFC, please correct me if im wrong. @ robertmee if you don't mind me asking, how was your experience working in Paris, do you speak french, if you don't speak french was the language barrier a challenge? PM if you want.

EDIT*** also what kind if PLC's did you use often

SFCs were derived from Grafcet methodology. SFC's are usually graphical based (at least in the case of AB), whereas Grafcet's are more about the methodology and how to construct code. I routinely 'build' grafcets in standard ladder logic, manipulating bits of a word to represent steps for a particular process.

Michelin put us through two years of French language training on-site, and once immersed in the culture, you'll pick it up enough to get by. Engineers were sent in groups so there were always some English to fall back on. I imagine if you are there alone it might be more difficult. This was back in the 80's and I don't know if the culture has changed, but then, the French were proud of their language and expected you to speak it as much as you could.

For PLC's, Michelin was AB and GE (god awful series six at the time) and some telemecanique and modicon sprinkled in. The were also heavy users of DEC Vaxes at the time. But predominantly GE/AB. Saint-Gobain was a mixture of AB and TI, but mostly standardized on AB, at least in the states. I didn't get the opportunity to go to France with SG, so can't speak for what's prevalent there.

Last edited: