Converting a WORD into a double Integer in PL7

atomtm

Hello everyone!
I am trying to figure out how a word - 16 bit can be translated into a double integer (%MD) in Pl7 .
Currently the application has one of it's outputs mapped into a coil addressed with (say) %MW1000 . So I cross reference this to see where it goes but the only entry of it is in that section and nowhere else. By searching the different sections I came across %MD1000 where all 32 output coils are assigned.
By simulating a test program with Modbus Poll and Unity I noticed that when I change %MW1000 ,%MD1000 is also affected. So what exactly is the relationship between these two .
These can't be the same as the WORD has 16 bits and double integer has 32 , right? There have to be 16 bits more on the %MD but from where is it taking them?

Once again sorry for my general questions , I am still learning
Would be very grateful is someone could help me with this out!

Thank you in advance