Device Net Programming on aPowerflex 400 Drive

PMSII

Hey guys, I'm new here and to programming a drive.I read a little concerning someones quest to install a 22-comm-d adapter to a PF 400 drive.I have recently replaced a 400 drive that was on a boiler that had that installed on it.We had the unit(boiler)down for over a year and now that it was brought back on line I'm getting a Mod Bus comm error on my device net reciever at the boiler.In the manual that came with the drive,it said the drive had an HIM(human interface module) built in to program the drive. I'm not seeing anything in the parameter/program section or on the parameter screen onboard the drive that discusses devicenet parameters. PLEASE HELP.

Just to clarify... you are installing a new 22-comm-d on an existing drive and getting the error? So you need to configure the drive? You mention a manual... you would want to reference the AB publication 22comm-UM003A, I believe. You can find this at www.ab.com follow the link to the literature library under the Products tab and search for this publication. You can access the parameters of the 22-commD from the HMI on the PF drive. If I recall, you need to go to the first page of parameters where you see "device select" and select the 22-commd to access the parameters for that device. Good luck!

Mark, I'm not seeing the device parameter in my manual. Also to clarify, I installed a new drive and was going to insert the existing 22 comm back in this unit. The book that came with the boiler has my device parameters in it. That is what I've not been able to install as of yet. Hey, thanks for your help.

There are three things you need to set up to get a drive going on DeviceNet:

1. The "Scanner". It's usually an Allen-Bradley or Omron PLC, but it could be something else. Scanners usually have a "Scanlist" you set up with configuration software to talk to various nodes on the network.

2. The Drive itself. Drives usually come out of the box configured to run from their onboard controls, so you have to configure Drive parameters to make the drive take its start/stop commands and its speed reference from the DeviceNet interface module.

In the PowerFlex 400, the parameters related to the "DSI interface" (that's the drive serial interface between the 22-COMM-D and the PowerFlex itself, over that little ribbon cable) are part of the "Communications Group" of parameters.

While the serial settings (8/N/1, 19200 baud, etc) are probably at defaults, P036 (Start Source Select) and P038 (Speed Reference) are crucial to make the drive respond to the Network port.

3. The DeviceNet interface box. The 22-COMM-D uses DIP switches to set its DeviceNet Node Number and data rate (125, 250, or 500 kb/s), and a jumper to set it up for Single-Drive or Multi-Drive mode.

The first two things I'd look at in such a system are any error messages showing on the Scanner, and at the DIP switches and jumper physically on the 22-COMM-D.

Ken, I do not have a scanner. All I have is the onboard HIM on the PF400. I was able to install parameters from my drive manual that came with the boiler except the devicenet. The original drive that I replaced was also a PF400. My drive's parameter groups are(basic display,basic program,terminal block,communications,advanced program,auxiliary relay card,and advanced display). Help.

I'm confused by the absence of a DeviceNet scanner. Does the network port on the 22-comm-D connect to a network cable? Am I assuming incorrectly that you have a 22-Comm-D ?

Take a step back and explain exactly what network module you are installing and why.

I'm confused by the absence of a DeviceNet scanner. Does the network port on the 22-comm-D connect to a network cable? Am I assuming incorrectly that you have a 22-Comm-D ?

Take a step back and explain exactly what network module you are installing and why.
Ken, I've installed the 22comm d module in the new drive that came off of the previous drive. The boiler was shut down for over a year with the old drive and module still intact. I entered all the parameters through the onboard HIM(front of PF400)into my new drive that I retrieved from a boiler (same size) next to this one with the same drive on it. I did not see the devicenet parameters on either of them. The 22 comm connects to the Hawk ICS controller on the front of the boiler via conductors (three with a shielded ground). The Hawk ramps the drive up and down according to demand. I am going to power down the drive and repower to see if the parameters entered are accepted. Thanks for your input in this matter. Wish me luck.

I'm not familiar with the Hawk ICS control systems, but from a quick look at their website they probably have an Allen-Bradley controller in that box.

DeviceNet is usually a four-wire system: red and black for +24V DC and DC Common, and blue and white for CAN-H and CAN-L.

Follow that cable from the 22-COMM-D into the control cabinet and see what it's hooked up to.

Also: Many parameters that affect the way a drive starts and stops don't take effect until power is cycled, so I do recommend power cycling the drive (make sure you wait until the bus is fully drained before turning power back on, so that the control boards reboot).

Ken, you are the man. I cycled the drive and rebooted and all is well. All my codes inside the Hawks control box that talks to my drive cleared. I switched on the burner switch on the boiler and it fired and modulated just like a new one. We have two 500hp and one 100hp boilers on campus that serve 750,000 square feet of building space that houses 600 disabled individuals. With the onset of winter, I was getting nervous about something happening to the 500 that was working knowing that the 100 would not keep up and we were fed a bunch of stuff from the Cleaver Brooks guys that only their techs could install programming because it was propriortized. Although I work for the state, being a taxpayer makes me look for ways to cut cost and I couldn't see us paying for something we could do ourselves. On behalf of all of those we care for, I want to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to you and those who contributed in helping me with this problem. Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS.