Disconnecting the load side of a running VFD

rupej

So most of us know that it can damage a drive if you disconnect the motor from it while the drive is running. This came up again today and I realized that while I've known this for years, I can't explain in technical terms exactly why it is bad. Something about damaging IGBTs is all I remember.

Can any of the drive experts here elaborate on what exactly gets damaged, and why suddenly disconnecting the load causes that? 🍺

One of the main reasons is that solid state deices need current flow to turn off
with an open open output (Disconnected Motor) when the drive transistor / SCR is Commanded to turn off it will remain on so the transistor / SCR opposite it on the same output connection for a very short time it will be a dead short between the + and - DC buss and both transistors are destroyed you may also destroy other components in the drive as well

Many three phase disconnects can have an “early-opening” auxiliary contact mounted on them that can be used to open the IGBT’s safely.

Check with your VFD manual to see if that works for you.

As a set of contacts open while current is flowing, like with a contactor or disconnect, the current forms an arc across the gap until the air gap distance increases to where the dielectric is high enough to extinguish it. In an AC circuit that happens fairly quickly because the polarity is crossing zero twice per second to help out. With DC that doesn't happen. Although technically the PWM pulses coming from the VFD are DC, they too are going to be zero in between pulses, but that happens so fast that the DC arc is still there when the next pulse fires. But in the mean time because the pulses are turning on and off feeding an inductor (the motor), they make the air gap act like a capacitor, pumping up the voltage across the gap as it widens. That voltage is rising very fast and can quickly exceed the dv/dt rating of the transistors themselves, causing them to break down at their junction layers. Translate: fail.

Most modern IIGBT drives now have protection circuits on the outputs (flyback diodes, etc.) that will suppress this capacitive action. So opening once in a great while, like in a emergency, is unlikely to cause damage any more, however the potential damage is also incremental. So if the mfrs said that it's not immediately fatal to open a contact down stream, someone would immediately abuse the concept and blow up some drives, then say "Well you didn't tell me not to!" or "Define once in a great while." So instead, they leave the admonition in saying "Don't do it" as the default position. In addition, you don't know for SURE whether your particular VFD has or doesn't have that protection; some older and / or cheaper ones don't, so it's best not to press your luck.

Last edited:
Going back some years ago using over 30 Danfoss drives the requirement was to have local isolators next to the motors, the panels were on a gantry so up to 30 metres away, We had to fit early break aux. contacts to attempt to stop the drive, without this it was common for drives to be damaged and as far as I know none were lost using the early break contacts, however, due to the short time between the early break & the main contacts it is likely this could still cause damage.
Most are protected from the spikes etc. on motor disconnection.
We had two cooking vessels where the agitators were driven by one drive and forward/reverse contactors on the output of the VFD (two motors, four contactors one VFD), the agitators changed rotation about every minute, recipe for disaster you might think switching the output of a VFD that is like someone standing there switching off the local isolator every minute, but the only VFD we replaced in the 16 years I was there is was due to an engineer working on the panel and a cleaner decided to hose the panel & the engineer down. as a matter of interest the inverters were Mitsubishi E500's