DL450 and Lookout HMI

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
I have a client who has asked me to improve the performance of a National Instruments Lookout HMI application that is communicating serially with a DL405 PLC. There is too long of a lag between the operator clicking an object on the HMI screen and being able to see the response.

The PLC scan time is around 40 - 45 milliseconds. It has a D4-RM module connected to some remote I/O racks in addition to some local I/O modules (CPU base and one additional local I/O base).

The HMI is Lookout v 5.1 (this is National Instruments Lookout, not Lookout Direct).

First question: Is the AD Direct Logic Plus add-on compatible with Lookout version 5.1, or do I need to upgrade to the current version 6.0? I want to convert from serial communications to ethernet and it looks like the Direct Logic Plus package is the only way to get ethernet connectivity between Lookout and the DL405.

Second question: Can I expect a sigificant improvement in throughput by converting the remote I/O from serial to ethernet? The I/O points on the remote link show a longer lag than those in the local racks.

The Directlogic Plus add-on is compatable with version 5.1, should be no problem there. As for the remote I/O yes you should see a sigificant improvment there also. With the D4-RM the best possible data transfer speed is 38.4K baud.

Andy

I had a similar issue a while ago with a VB program and a serial connection to a 405 series PLC. I put in an ECOM Module and everything sped right up. It should take care of your problem as well.