Does FTView ME Station "Edit Device" Change MER File or Only Station Settings?

ehhakeoiiijge

Does FTView ME Station "Edit Device" Change MER File or Only Station Settings?

I'm basically trying to permanently change an MER file's communications settings without importing and editing the application in Studio.

I know that I can change the connection from ME Station via RSLinx Enterprise Configuration> Edit Device, but I want the change to persist in my MER file used for backups.

Do changes to the PLC path from ME Station change the MER file or do they just overwrite the MER communications settings at runtime?

Assuming that you are using a relatively new version, the path on the runtime tab persists, the path on the design tab does not (I believe). But the design path is only used for running in FactoryTalk View Studio.

ME Station will not modify the MER. The path is only updated on the actual PanelView/ME Station if you choose "replace communications" when downloading locally loading the application.

Thank you for the detailed response. Looks like I'll need to restore the application and make a new MER with the updated comms for backup purposes.

Thank you for the detailed response. Looks like I'll need to restore the application and make a new MER with the updated comms for backup purposes.

It is possible for the MER communication setup to be incorrect even though it is running properly on the terminal. Here is one way:

Original person makes an MER, downloads it to the terminal, choosing "Replace communications".

New guy comes in, uploads makes an edit and downloads. For whatever reason, new guy broke the communication path in the application, but never chose replace communications when he downloaded his new application to the terminal.

In this scenario, the Terminal would still communicate to the PLC, because it would be using the original path, but the MER has an incorrect path.

Point is, make sure you restore it and check the path and not assume that the one you uploaded is correct. Hopefully that all made sense.

When you change the shortcut links in the terminal settings on the HMI, does that not save it to the MER? I just replaced a PanelView Plus 7 Performance model and had to adjust the comm settings directly on the HMI. There is a prompt that comes up when you modify the terminal settings, and I thought it mentioned something about saving it to the MER. I could be remembering that wrong though. I don't have another one on hand to replicate what I did for testing.