Easiest way to view and ******* PLC Data on Android

Revnus

What should be the easiest way to control and view data from a Rockwell PLC using an Android smartphone without using pc? Can you suggest softwares?

What do you mean with "control"?
If you are not planing on going online with the PLC software, an easier alternative to view and modify data is to remotely access the related HMI.
With the Red Lion's HMIs, for example, you can remotely go online with the HMI screens, so you can see and modify the values that are accessible to be shown/modified.
If you use a VPN router like StrideLinx, you can have an application for your phone to access the HMI.
I know there are other HMI and VPN brands around that can do the same.

In summary, PLC -> HMI -> VPN router -> smartphone

What should be the easiest way to control and view data from a Rockwell PLC using an Android smartphone without using pc? Can you suggest softwares?

Could use a machine to machine gateway that supports smart phone, But as other poster says best going via an HMI

PLC -> HMI <-> (wifi) Smartphone

have a look at JMobile from Exor https://www.exorint.com/en/software/jmobile

or

**** for a M2m gateway - https://www.mac-solutions.net/en/products/m-2-m/industrial-vpn-routers

I was assuming you wanted to access from your smart phone from outside your plant.
If you are inside your plant you just use a wifi router. Then, if you are using an HMI like Red Lion, you enter the HMI IP address on your web browser and there's an interface to access the screens.
Using a tablet to control a machine while in the plant, in particular for commissioning and troubleshooting, can be handy.

I meant view and modify values. Actually Im not planning to use the PLC for a plant but for a small application, so it would be something like this: PLC -> ROUTER -> SMARTPHONE (android). The smartphone wouldn't be a remote viewer, but the HMI itself. It is really a simple application for home use. Does exist an Android software for this?

Last edited:
Thanks OkiePC !!

Suppanel can communicate with both Rockwell MicroLogix/SLC500 and Compact/ControlLogix/Micro800 just install it and try it.

Thanks OkiePC !!

Suppanel can communicate with both Rockwell MicroLogix/SLC500 and Compact/ControlLogix/Micro800 just install it and try it.

What are the "active controls per panel"? Are the prices a one time fee?

What are the "active controls per panel"? Are the prices a one time fee?

The supervisory panels are designed by adding controls, I call "Active" the ones linked to PLC variables(tags) or the controls through the communication with the PLC is made.

The quantity of Active controls on a single panel is limited by license, but there are 60 days of free trial.

There is also no limit on how many panels you can create.

Licenses have no time limit, one time fee.

Last edited:
The supervisory panels are designed by adding controls, I call "Active" the ones linked to PLC variables(tags) or the controls through the communication with the PLC is made.
And you call a "panel" to each application accessing a PLC or to each screen?
For example, if I want to show 40 temperature readings from the PLC, can I do it?

And you call a "panel" to each application accessing a PLC or to each screen?
For example, if I want to show 40 temperature readings from the PLC, can I do it?

A Panel is a screen.

You can show up to 35 temperatures in a single Panel , 36 minus 1 which is the connection control. But it can show and optionally modify the 40 tags separated into groups of 20 in two panels.

It works very differently than most popular HMIs but it is easy to understand.

There are also some help videos on youtube.

so it would be something like this: PLC -> ROUTER -> SMARTPHONE (android). The smartphone wouldn't be a remote viewer, but the HMI itself. It is really a simple application for home use. Does exist an Android software for this?

What I have for my home SLC setup is a Windows10 x86 tablet running AdvancedHMI. I have about 10 screens with the important control and value displays. As long as the tablet is connected to any of my WiFi points (even out in the yard) I can control lights & locks, shutoff incoming water, shut down the solar batteries, know of a power failure or brownout, know if the water heater gets cold, turn on outside outlets, and control holiday lights.

I also have a PC running the full HMI setup that controls and monitors a lot more.

Do Rockwell/AB PLCs have integrated web server like most modern PLCs have?
If yes then you need just to set some port forwarding rules (for remote) and you can access it from any SmartPhone.

Last edited: