ELAU servomotor encoder programming

James Ross

Some of ELAU SM servo motors utilize SICK STEGMANN encoders of type SRM50. My SM motor had a defective SRM50 and I bought a new one from SICK. I assume new encoders are always data-free and need to be programmed according to defective or other healthy encoders which already is working in factory line. Both encoders are of same model (SRM50-HAV0-K01) with same size EEPROM (I mean 128 bits), and I tried to write the program of the old one on the row encoder via SICK programming tool PGT-11 S LAN. The procedure is to read the old encoder data in SOPAS ET environment in *.sdv file and write it to the new one. For me didn't work. Because the new encoder data file (*.sdv file in HEXADECIMAL format) did not match with old encoder data file when I compare with other softwares which can read HEX format.
Then I found that ELAU put an electronic nameplate on their motors so could be easily recognized by ELAU controllers.
Then I read Product information of SRM50 (along with SRS50) pages 18&19 declares some commands and their functions like 42h: Read Position, or 4Ah: Read data, or 4Bh: Store data etc ... Do you know How can I execute these commands on encoder? Is it possible in SOPAS ET software environment? If yes Which part of it? Do you have any experience?

I assume that the encoder needs data before tuning, But ELAU has an "AUTO TUNE" project running with EPAS-4, Is it possible this "auto tune" can do everything for an row encoder to becoming an ELAU encoder?

James, I am not familiar with the exact procedure, but for the encoder to work in the motor with and ELAU servo drive, the encoder needs to be programmed with the electronic nameplate data like your original encoder was. After the encoder is programmed properly, it needs to be commutated to the motor. The Auto Tune project you noticed in EPAS-4 is a tool to help tune the motor to the load it is driving. It does not provide any functions for programming or commutating the encoder.

Dear Bazook7777
Thanks for your valuable information about "ELAU auto tune"
Do you have any experience about SRM50 encoder commutation to ELAU motors? Is there any phasing procedure (like U+V- angle 206) for these motors? I know that ELAU is very cautious of penetrating these information? But the maybe some experiences for this issue.
Best regards
james

Yesterday I connect my ELAU SM motors to an Indramat HCS02 drive (universal single axis model) to see if the commutation is possible via Indramat drive.

The result was awful; My SM motors apparently lost its EEPROM (The diag code 117), Cause the ELAU pacdrive system doesn't recognize it anymore.

I tried to reprogram it according to healthy encoders via PGT-11, and although the procedure of programming goes right (apparently), the pacdrive system does not recognize it.

Could it be from fault steps of programming?

Sorry, but I don't have any information about the actual commutation method for these motors / encoders. As mentioned though, it is unlikely you will get the motor to work again with your ELAU drive unless you can get the encoder programmed with the proper nameplate file from ELAU. You are correct that this will be difficult to obtain, especially since the SM motors are now obsolete. I know you are probably trying to do the work yourself, but your best bet to salvage the motor may be to contact Schneider Electric (purchased ELAU years ago and now handles service on all the ELAU parts) to see where there closest location for motor repair is for you.