Electrical schematics with slice I/O

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm starting a large project using a Beckhoff controller and I/O. Their modules are what I'd call the "slice" style, similar to Wago and others, where you can create different nodes and there's no defined "slot" for each slice. Some terminals, like those that that break and supply the backplane bus, don't even have any I/O. I'm wondering what is the best way to represent all this on an electrical drawing? At the moment I'm thinking of using a diagram to indicate how the different components should be assembled, then a separate schematic that actually shows connections. I'm planning to assign node and slot numbers, simply because it's the only way I can think of to keep things organized when it comes to wire numbers, addresses, etc. I'd be interested in seeing examples of how others have handled this.

I always have two set of diagrams:

1. Network architecture diagram (usually just one page).
2. Electrical diagrams.

When the project include remote units (slices, remote i/o, nodes, or whatever-name), I draw those units as separated sections in the pack of electrical diagrams.

I also create an I/O matrix or list of connections for the people wiring in the field.

It is a tricky one as the I/O addresses are dependant of the type and the sequence, the analog modules use word, so they are addressed first, and then the digital ones as they use bits in a word.
I make a drawing of how the unit should look like, so a sequence of moduletype codes.
then i use this same drawing and put every module on a separate page, with all wires needed.

it is depending of the cadsofteware obvious. i use QElectrotech for this as it is freeware.