erasing/uploading to SLC 5/01

Mark,

Thank you so much for your effort in helping me address this strange issue.

I sent you the version with the bit set to 0, because that is the same state that I'm trying to upload.

I have a PIC here also, and via the PIC I am able to connect normally (with limited access of course), but assume that my connection is solid because I can change the run mode of the PLC. Both the PIC and UIC act exactly the same no matter what I try to do. I even have two notebooks and both are doing the same thing.

I have the CPU empty (EEPROM removed, jumped 14 and 28 together, and CPU listed as default in RSLinx) but I'm now fighting with one single problem.

Whenever I try to download my program, I get the same error over and over again, no matter whether I use PIC or UIC, it's always the same:

Download Failed!
Could not set max station address.

I no longer care about getting access to the program in the CPU. I have the replacement program nearly complete anyways. I just need this CPU to start acting like a new out-of-the-box CPU, and it's not.

I am currently onsite in Algeria trying to get this equipment online, so unfortunately I cannot accept your kind offer for sending me a replacement PIC. I very much appreciate your offer, it does mean a great deal to the reputation of a helpful public community such as this one. Thank you.

I have 4 - 5/01 CPU's here. 3 blocked (all with the exact same program - S:1/14 bit to 1) and one with different software unlocked (S:1/14 bit to 0). I can connect and exchange software with the unlocked module without a hitch. All three locked modules, whether reset/cleared or not are acting the same way. It leads me to believe that the S:1/14 bit is still affecting my access somehow. The original programs in all three locked PLC's function seem to be functioning correctly, but I expect some minor changes will need to be made prior to finishing the project and want to be prepared for it. I/O's are functioning properly as based on t so I really doubt I am dealing with a faulty PLC issue.

Tried Allen-Bradley's tech support email page last night, but there website doesn't seem to be working properly, so I cannot ask them what the error message means, and more importantly how to get rid of it.

I have been practically sleeping with this PLC (yes I take it with me to the hotel room in the evening) and think I have tried everything, but I have bluntly accomplished nothing. This error has been here from the very beginning on all three PLC's that have protection enabled.

Regarding the email, my apologies. I called our company ISP this morning to ask what was going on, and they delightedly informed me that last night they decided to move our mail server without informing us, so that will explain the delay in you receiving yesterdays emails.

I'm closer to accepting the fact that the most painless way out of this one (based on your successful test results) may be for the company to send me 3 new SLC's. I could have brought them with me, but I didn't imagine that I would be completely blocked from erasing and writing to an older unit. It will still bother me for a long time if I don't figure out what is going on here.

cheers,
erik

geniusintraining said:
Good morning everyone....

Erik emailed me the file.

OK, I sold my last 5/01 so I had to change and download the processor type to a 5/02, I also had to go from a 7slot to a 13 slot rack, I had all the cards but the last one and changed it from an OW16 to an OV16....

I don't think any of the changes should of made a difference as the program was not changed.

S:1/14 bit is low (0)

After the download went on line and to run with no issues....

So I have no idea on what the issue may be, other then something to do with the UIC, as I know nothing about them.

Erik, Do you have an real serial port on the PC? if so.... you pay for shipping and I will send you a PIC, if it works for you and you want to keep it then just pay me, if not send it back, but using a PIC you need a real serial port, not a USB

If anyone has any ideas or want me to try a few things let me know... I will be back later this afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Mark

PS, Erik the email said you sent it 12 hrs ago but I just got it this morning??? slow email :)

Last edited:
GIT,

Could you run another test, where you set the S:1/14 bit to "1", then go offline, then close the offline program, then delete it from your RSLogix directory, then try to go online again? This test would silmulate the field conditions, and show whether or not it is the S:1/14 bit that is preventing access.

Access Denied S:1/14
You can allow or deny future access to a processor file. Set this bit to deny access. This indicates that a programming device must have a matching copy of the processor file in its memory in order to monitor the ladder program. A programming device that does not have a matching copy of the processor file is denied access.

When this bit is cleared, it indicates that any compatible programming device can access the ladder program (provided that password conditions are satisfied).

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000
According to this from the Help file, the only way to access the processor (if S:1/14 is set) is to create an exact duplicate of the processor program.

I think if you remove the battery and drain the capacitor by shorting with a wire for long enough to discharge the power, then the "Access Denied" program in the SLC 5/01 should disappear and S:1/14 should reset to 0. Perhaps you should discharge the capacitor 1 more time!

Download Failed!
Try using the PIC converter again, but instead of DOWNLOADING a program, try UPloading the existing "default" program (which should be an empty shell). Then look at S:1/14 and reset if necessary, then DOWNload that program.

Now you should be able to download the real program.

Last edited:
When I try to upload the empty "default" processor, it tells me that the processor is empty and asks if I want to copy the program from EEPROM (which I have removed). Clicking OK does nothing, and clicking copy from EEPROM naturally initiates a message stating the EEPROM is empty or there is none.

Lancie1 said:
Try using the PIC converter again, but instead of DOWNLOADING a program, try UPloading the existing "default" program (which should be an empty shell). Then look at S:1/14 and reset if necessary, then DOWNload that program.

Now you should be able to download the real program.

probably chasing a wild-goose - but check the settings of these “memory module related” bits ...

eeprombits.JPG

When I try to upload the empty "default" processor, it tells me that the processor is empty and asks if I want to copy the program from EEPROM (which I have removed).
Does the SLC 5/01 that you can access (does not have S:1/14 set) have an EEPROM? If so, remove that one and insert it into one that you cannot access, then kill power and restart. It just MIGHT upload a copy of A PROGRAM that is accessible.

Even if the unlocked processor does not have an EEPROM, remove one from the locked units and insert into the unlocked unit. Now load a good unlocked program to the EEPROM, remove the EEPROM, then insert it into one of the locked units, and kill power and restore power.

Perhaps you should discharge the capacitor 1 more time! The unaccessible units may also have a password installed. If so, use the "Master" password.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
GIT,

Could you run another test, where you set the S:1/14 bit to "1", then go offline, then close the offline program, then delete it from your RSLogix directory, then try to go online again? This test would silmulate the field conditions, and show whether or not it is the S:1/14 bit that is preventing access.

I can not toggle the bit??? when I set it, it just changes back to 0 on the next scan???

and got the fault to clear.... had to change a bit in the mem mod

update...

I toggled it off line then down loaded it... verified it was true then went off line

Tried to go online and uploaded and got this error

fault892731118.JPG

After this I got off line changed the bit then, reloaded the program and was able to communicate to it and see everything.

So it looks like S:1/14 will stop the end user from editing the program or viewing it online, but they can still go online with the CPU, but if you toggle it on off line then download you will be OK....

BUT... I still did not get the error that Erik did

Algeria ? There goes my idea to bring you a new controller. I just landed in Spokane.

My experience with newer controllers is that they have both a current and a pending communications port configuration. The last thing RSLogix 500 does after downloading to an SLC controller is check to see if the pending comm port settings are the same as the existing ones, and asks you if you want to apply them.

What's going on here with the 5/01 I can't say for sure. Usually if you default a controller it goes back to being Node 1, running DH485 at 19200 baud and with the Max Station Address equal to 31.

I searched the RA support archives and every case I found that included that error message was solved by defaulting the controller.

Download Failed!
Usually if you default a controller it goes back to being Node 1, running DH485 at 19200 baud and with the Max Station Address equal to 31.
Could there be some hints here to the problem? If you had your computer RSLogix comm settings to be Node 1, then RSLinx would be unable to connect to the "Default" processor program, which would also have the same Node 1 address.

At last, the solution. . .

Ok I was able to finally get past this problem. To all those that replied and those who were monitoring this post, I'm very sorry I didn't write back sooner, I just didn't have time to sit down and do this until now. I fixed my problem using the following steps (sorry the pics are a bit big):

First, find the capacitor:

photo189a.jpg

Access to the capacitor leads is not the best. If you have a steady hand, you prolly don't need to remove the front cover, but I did just to be sure I didn't unintentionally short something else. You will need to remove the steel backplate (not pictured) that covers the entire backside of the board and then optionally unscrew the board from the plastic front plate.

photo191b.jpg

Find the soldered connections on the capacitor and short them (I did for 2 minutes).

photo193a.jpg

After this (with ram removed of course), I was able to upload the new program without a hitch. Seems the error message I was getting was a bug, as the problem seems to have originated from the original locked program. I'm not an expert by any means, but it's my opinion that the error message I was getting (max station address not set) was misleading in helping find a resolution for the original problem. Incidentally, I had tried shorting pins 14 and 28 on the processor prior, and this did not have the same affect. It did accomplish flashing of the CPU fault light after restart, but still could not download to the CPU. Once I shorted the capacitor directly, I was in business the first time I tried to download software to the PLC.

Thank you everyone for your kind offers and suggestions. Without all your help and encouragement, I would have thrown out these three processors and have new ones shipped (time + money)! I hope this post helps someone in the future with similar problems.

Best Regards,
Erik

Last edited:
Erik,

Thanks for coming back with the post and pictures

If more people came back and told us the problem after they fixed it we would be able to share that knowledge with others....

Thanks again and glad to see you got it :)

Mark

Micrologix 1000

I have a similiar problem with a Micrologix 1000 processor with the exception that we do not have a copy of the program and the manufacturer has since gone out of business. I can go online with the processor however I get the protected from user access screen also. Is there any way possible to get a copy of the running program from the processor with that status bit set? I cannot take a chance clearing tghe processor out without first getting a copy of the program. I think AB should look at this a little closer so there would be a safe way around this status bit. Thanks for any help provided.