Ethernet/IP MCC capacity per 1756-ENBT

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are bidding on an application where the customer has been convinced a Schneider Ethernet/IP based MCC is the best solution. There may be up to 200 drives and smart O/Ls in this MCC.

Is there a general rule of thumb on many Ethernet/IP devices should be connected to one 1756-ENBT? I can't find any documentaion in Rockwell's knowledge database.

For DNET Mcc's , I typically limit 32 drives &| E3 Overloads to one 1756-DNB.

In order to come up with a configuration, i need to know how many 1756-ENBT cards to add.

The answer varies depending where you look. According to Appendix C of this Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um001_-en-p.pdf

The 1756-ENBT supports 64 TCP Connections. I believe newer versions may have added more connections.

Search for RA KB Article 40784 and 38352. There are also others, the search term I used was "1456-ENBT TCP connections". An 1756-EN2T may serve you better in this application.

No matter what the number of connections allowed, I would think you wouldn't want to load it fully. Hopefully, Ken Roach will Chime in here later today.

Stu....

The answer varies depending where you look. According to Appendix C of this Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um001_-en-p.pdf

The 1756-ENBT supports 64 TCP Connections. I believe newer versions may have added more connections.

Search for RA KB Article 40784 and 38352. There are also others, the search term I used was "1456-ENBT TCP connections". An 1756-EN2T may serve you better in this application.

No matter what the number of connections allowed, I would think you wouldn't want to load it fully. Hopefully, Ken Roach will Chime in here later today.

Stu....

Yes, I am aware of the max # of I/O connections, just looking for a "rule of thumb" limit.

I know already to split out any HMI/SCADA/Programming /Remote support on one 1756-ENBT and put Ethernet/IP on its own 1756-ENBT.

It depends on how many connections the devices use. Drives mostly use 1 or 2 connections depending but this is based on AB you will have to refer to the Schneider literature to be sure.

No you don't want to tap out the connection because a connetion does not always release when it should and you consume connetions for produce and consume tags also plus software like rs logix will consume 1 or more connections depending.

Keep in mind also that all logix processors up to the L7x series could only handle 250 connections for the entire system so large systems need 2 0r 3 processors. I have 2 lines that have 4 L6x processors because of this limitation.

The new L7x series handles 500 connections EN2T would be better as they handle 128 connections.

Yes, I am aware of the max # of I/O connections, just looking for a "rule of thumb" limit.

I know already to split out any HMI/SCADA/Programming /Remote support on one 1756-ENBT and put Ethernet/IP on its own 1756-ENBT.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question, just trying to help.

Stu....