FasTrak SCADA software

RussB

Lifetime Supporting Member
My boss asked me to evaluate this. Does anyone have experience that they would be willing to share?
My first impressions are "it's not very impressive". I will know more by Monday.
http://www.fast-soft.com/

Sorry, I don't have experience with their SCADA software, but I do with their PLC programming software.... and hate it. The support was, well, lets say, un-supportive, and they had a practice of requiring a new hardware license key for every upgrade version of the programming packages.

I don't know if they still do that, but it finally got so frustrating I stopped using them. (you had to send the old key back within 30 days, or get charged for a full package again).

Are you using the 'new' version?

I had a voice mail yesteday from one of their salesmen......apparently they just released a new version.
I don't use the scada but they sure are trying to get me too......

We have used them in the past also for PLC software. Mainly to support out of date PLC's. My experience wasn't that bad, but the software is functional and that is about it.

I am kind of suprised that they are still around.

My first impressions are the same. I would recommend to stick to one of the larger players. The money you might save now will soon be expended trying to get things ro work correctly. Regards Alan

Last edited:
I have looked it over and have determined that this is not SCADA software. There is a ladder editor for a couple of different PLCs, i.e. part of the Modicon family, Siemens S5 family and PC control. Also there are a couple Data Loggers that are easy to setup and support SQL databases, but again have limited drivers.
According to the sales rep. there are plans to support S7 and SLC/500 in 2006/2007.
It looks like the new dongle has flash now, so in theory it can be field updated.
I cannot recommend it right now but will keep it in mind for future opportunities.

Thanks for your comments.

RussB - I would ask that you please call FasTrak directly and ask more questions regarding our history, and our SCADA software. We have recently had a new release (late June), which supports ALL vendors of PLCs and RTUs. All you need is an OPC driver. We have our own OPC drivers for several manufacturers, and we can supply most others through an agreement we have with other communication driver developers. So, yes, we do essentially support all devices. Our ControlShop, SCADA software is more than you mention it to be. It consists of a Data Logger with every logging criteria you could come up with, a Data Trender that trends realtime and logged data, an Alarm Annunciator that supports almost any method of alarming, and a Recipe Batch Manager for easy downloading of multiple values. We support most databases, including SQL and Access, and we offer unlimited data points/alarms with the initial purchase, while having a very competitive price.

Rdrast – It must have been quite some time ago that you have used FasTrak’s software, because we have been doing flash upgrades to the keys since 1998. We are also rated extremely high by our clients for our support, and our responsiveness to meet the needs of our customer.

Aaron – Thanks for your comments. I know you are happy with our 505 WorkShop

Rick – Thank you also for the comments. We are still in business, and doing quite well. See our website for updated info. www.fast-soft.com

Jim Rozewicz
FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc.

All you need is an OPC driver.

PASS!!! Give me a specific driver anyday.

Have a good look at Citect - www.citect.com. It is really very good and comes with drivers for almost everything - FREE OF CHARGE!!!! There are a few exceptions due to manufacturers requiring licence fees for their drivers - AB is one that comes to mind.