Float to two 16 bit integers - PLC5 or SLC

dash

Lifetime Supporting Member
A recent challange I worked out tonight was getting a float, which represents the number of counts for an indexing drive to move, split into a low and high 16 bit word. This example is for a PLC5 so it will also work for a SLC, but there may be some better math choices for a SLC.

Anyway, I am sure someone could probably do a cleaner job, but I never sould find an example I could follow. Attached is my attempt in a PDF file. The code has been fairly well checked, but if you use it check it out yourself before applying.

Darren

By the way. It will have an accuracy of +/- one count. For me that was good enough. :D

Last edited:
By the way. As you cross the 10 million mark you will start to loose resolution due to the way floats are handled.

Darren