Fuse Help What is it ????

jimtech67

What type of fuse is this ???
this one went pop
It reads NEW & 5A (5 amp I assume)
2.4mm x 6.6mm

I could not find any info on the interwebs...

It is from an old obsolete Oriental Motors stepper driver
Driver part number = CSD5828N-T
power is 24VDC
The manual was no help..
I called Oriental Motors no help.
They do not repair and components are proprietary..

the stepper driver is running a test rig on my desk.
I replaced the fuse with one I had.
The driver is working fine..

Thanks

fuse A.png fuse B.png

Last edited:
It's a wire ended ceramic fuse do a google search not sure if it's fast or slow blow
Perhaps google digikey they have these type

The "new" and "5A" are definitely custom scribed by someone. Those end caps may actually pull off, to reveal the original fuse details on the ends.

Element14, digikey, mouser etc will all carry something similar.

Looks like it was through hole soldered, so you could probably find a new fuse holder and a 5A ceramic fuse to go in it.

If you can solder goods just get a 5A ceramic fuse and solder wires on the ends, just not so hot you burn the fuse out.

I have done that a few times for thru hole fuses.

I also have drilled a hole in the case and put a fuseholder in and wired it to the 2 thru holes so the unit didn't need opened to replace a fuse.

I already MacGyver-ed a 5 amp glass fuse onto the board that I had in stock ...
driver is working..

So you guys know its operating nothing critical or dangerous..
just a rig on my desk simulating a production operation..

thanks for the responses

If its ceramic and not glass there is likely to be a safety reason for that... i.e. violent expulsion of material or arc suppression. Seems unlikely in this case but . . .

If its ceramic and not glass there is likely to be a safety reason for that... i.e. violent expulsion of material or arc suppression. Seems unlikely in this case but . . .

I have found things done oddly and the reason was because a design engineer's brother-in-law sold [ceramic fuses].

Or magnets where magnets are installed for absolutely no reason with no effect on the operation when they fall off.

Magnets? Thats funny. Maybe they used the magic healing power of crystals in their design as well. :)
I agree supply chain issue may be why its ceramic but its worth considering.

Magnets? Thats funny. Maybe they used the magic healing power of crystals in their design as well. :)
I agree supply chain issue may be why its ceramic but its worth considering.

Yes. It was an aluminum camera sled, easily held in one hand, that rode in an aluminum channel. The magnets were on the bottom where they couldn't have anything to do with the camera, the channel was all aluminum with no steel under it for the magnets to attract to, no magnetic sensors for positioning.

But the OEM insisted they had to be there and to buy new ones if they fell out. Pricey little button magnets at $18 each, or 20 cents from McMaster.