Giddings & Lewis Pic 900 PLC

iowabob

Hello! My company is still using the old DOS software Ver 9.0 to troubleshoot a PIC 900 ( model 918??? cpu ) plc. I am tring to talk them into upgrading to the windows version but have been told that the windows version was not tested on this model cpu and we will have to upgrade the cpu processor. Our laptop is old and tring to find a laptop that will still run a DOS program and has a serial port is getting scarce. Anyone know of or that has used the windows version with this processor. Thanks Bob

Try out a Dell 820 laptop as that has a serial port and is a good piece of kit.

Combine that with a copy of VMWare workstation and make a virtual machine for DOS and you'll still be able to run your old dos software on your new XP Laptop.

Hi there,

There is a compatibility table that shows which versions of PiCPro software can be used with which processors. You may be able to go to version 10.0, which is Windows. It depends on the model number that is printed on the label on the processor. I have attached the compatibility table. Normally you can get it from http://www.glcontrols.com. I hope this helps.

iowabob said:
Hello! My company is still using the old DOS software Ver 9.0 to troubleshoot a PIC 900 ( model 918??? cpu ) plc. I am tring to talk them into upgrading to the windows version but have been told that the windows version was not tested on this model cpu and we will have to upgrade the cpu processor. Our laptop is old and tring to find a laptop that will still run a DOS program and has a serial port is getting scarce. Anyone know of or that has used the windows version with this processor. Thanks Bob

Give it up and upgrade!!..if the parts and processor are not already obsolete then they will soon be..My last big project was upgrading from a G&L 1500 i beleive..and that was becouse we couldnt get parts for it..its a shame becouse the things were like tanks and worked like a charm..

d

Give it up and upgrade!!..

That's exactly what i'm doing right now as we speak with an old PicPro Turbo. Damn backplane went out. Coolest thing you can wiggle an input card(in two of the slots) and make some solenoids turn on and off. It's oughta' here now.

I am able to run the Pic900 software on my laptop using windows 98.
I haven't tired it yet on my Windows XP laptop, but I'm sure it will work. I was just running the old Pic409 software on Windows XP the other day.