Global connection closing an on top display

clupie

Hello,
I'm trying to close an on top display using global connections. I'm using FTView ver 11.0. I have watched You tube videos and read many articles including threads from this site.
I have a tag defined as DINT that gets the screen number written to it using a momentary pushbutton. I change the tag value back to 0 after writing the screen number. I can see the tag defined in global connections/Display tab/close an on top display/ change from 0 to 23 (on top screen number) to 0 however the display never closes. I have the tag in global connections as {[path]tag_name}. Tried without path. Tried different screen numbers. If I enter a bogus screen number into the close display tag I do not receive an error.
Seems pretty straight forward but does not work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yes, I have tried both on top and all on top displays.
The display is defined as on top and the Cannot Be Replaced box is unchecked.

The only other things I can think to offer are 1) make sure all your screens are assigned unique values (Display Setting > Display Number), and 2) that in my PLC logic, I hold the "Close All On Top Displays" tag high until I see feedback from the HMI via the tag assigned to "Replace Display Number:" equals my first screen Display Number (1 in my case).

I think i see an issue, when I navigate to all my other screens the HMI_Display_Number changes to the correct display number for the screen. When I open the screen I want to close (Screen #23, the on top screen) The HMI_Display_Number tag does not change. It stays at the value for the screen underneath. Not sure why it would do that.

You might want to try resetting your Global Connections.
Do this by deleting the .gcn file in your:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\[application_name]\GlobalConn
Then resetup your Global Connections

If I set up my screen as a replace it has to be full size which I don't want. But I tried it and it the HMI_Display_Number now changes to 23 but it will not close with the global connection. I'm thinking it's because it's not an "on top" screen any more. I have other on top screens in my project. They do not change the HMI_Display_Number either but they use a close display button. Maybe that's how I have to proceed but I would like to keep the screen a small "pop up" screen, output a momentary bit for Ignition to use and close the screen at the same time. The close screen button can set a bit to a value but it stays set. Is there a programmatical way to reset that bit?
Thanks everyone for their help and patience.

I think i see an issue, when I navigate to all my other screens the HMI_Display_Number changes to the correct display number for the screen. When I open the screen I want to close (Screen #23, the on top screen) The HMI_Display_Number tag does not change. It stays at the value for the screen underneath. Not sure why it would do that.
I can't offer any new suggestions for your actual issue, but just FYI, this is expected behaviour. The clue is in the global connection name - Replace Display Number. It tells you the number of the currently active "replace" type display only. There is no way to indicate which "on top" type display or displays may be open.

Other than that, the only time I've ever seen this not work is when I had two displays with the same display number assigned to them, or a display with an invalid display number like zero. You'd think it could continue to work and just throw an error if you call the duplicated display number, but no, it'll just fail completely and silently.

I'm at a loss here. I've tried all of the above suggestions. Deleted the .gcn file, tried changing the duration of the tag to longer and shorter, made sure all of my displays had a different number and none of the displays are 0. Tried "close an on top" and "close all on top" selections. I can see the value of the tag change from 0 to 23(display number) then back to 0. The display will not close using a momentary pushbutton. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to have to try a different approach.

Thanks everyone for your input. I can now close my display using a momentary pushbutton. It turns out when I created the DINT tag that is used in the global connections to "close an on top display" the external access was set to none. I changed external access to read/write and it works. Looks like operator error on my part. Thanks again.