HELP A BIGiNNER: What is the Unitary plc, Modular plc and Rack-Mounted

Tim Moulder

What is ROFL ?

Your definitions were good ones so were Jenkins.
Both get a humor grade of A+
Accuracy usability - well,,,,,,,,,,
Humor is more important in this case.

Dan Bentler

Some more netspeak:

BTW - By the way
RTFM - Read the fine manual (well sometimes another F-word too)
FYI - For your information

The best list I've found about netspeak so far is this one

Kind regards,

JV

RTFM - Read the fine manual (well sometimes another F-word too)

F for factory??

Does someone sell a dictionary for all this Ill be danged if I can remember them all - the only ones I really recognize are those taught by US Navy which are all dirty and non PC, ***ist, and who knows what other societal wrongs?

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Dan,

that's certainly an F-word, but not the one I've been used hearing when someone used RTFM (y)

Kind regards,

Dan,

that's certainly an F-word, but not the one I've been used hearing when someone used RTFM (y)

Kind regards,

I will not admit to having a dirty mind nor using dirty words.
The closest I will come to that kind of thing is words like ambient, ambience, ***uality and ***tant.

I see he fixed A*M*B*I*E*N*T

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Hi, can i please get some help with these types of plc's 🤞🏻
what is the Unitary plc, Modular plc and Rack-Mounted plc?
and also if possible can you discribe the main criteria for each of these types which must be considered when selecting a controller to fit a particaler app? so like costs versatility and scanning.
thank you

hi there i wasnt actually going to join here i was just looking for some material for my course work at college doing an onc course, i mainly joined because i seen the above comment, and by the sounds im doing the same assignment as you, im found some bits that have helped and the links and of course this posting which i have found very useful, so instead of just pushing on with my assignment and other projects i though i would stop for a min and say hi to every and thanks for the info as it has helped me too, and i would love to chat to you all soemtime and learn more about plcs and stuff like that, im from tameside manchester area :D jules

Hi Jules. If you have some spare cash and are interested in Siemens they are right on your doorstep and offer a great programming 1 course. The price is a bit steep but worth it. Welcome to the forum by the way.

hi zane thank you for tha ti will have a look into it, although due to my lack of funds, plus 3 projects im working on, its unlikely i would be able to afford it,the main reason i started this course is to learn more about electronics, but i am found a useful pdf on the basic principles including the artiechture.

and thank youf ro the welcome :D,
i know we are not long of creating our own projects for the first time, and i knwo we have got around 6 weeks to complete roughly, i hope you dont mind me asking in here as im sure quiet a few people in here have done an onc course, basically i would like a project that combines as many of the subjects we are doing, i.e plc, electronics, mechanical , and electric machines but int o one goal(project)

i was thinking of making a model of a a.c generator hooked up to a full wave rectifier which is powerful enought to run some leds, and a plc unit to run a train around a track ( model powerplant sorta thing, what you guys think)

Thanks for that, I was almost in tears after a student handed this in as an assignment answer.

On a more serious note, I feel that the requirement in the syllabus for the distinction in types of PLC is outdated and needs relooking at.

Okay, let's settle this once and for all:

Unitary - A PLC developed after the declaration of the United Kingdom by the British. It is sometimes called a "brick" because angry Irishmen would throw them at the yeomen's windows as an act of protest.

Modular - Any PLC developed by Modicon. These caught on in a big way with the California surfer crowd, who use them to produce high-quality balsawood boards, giving rise to the expression, "Dude, that tokin' board is totally modular".

Rack-mounted - a PLC designed to be worn in a manner similiar to a brassiere. Their utility was dubious, but nevertheless they were wildly successful in industry through the early part of the 20th century, until the 60's, when trying to work on one would get you sued.

Best of luck on your finals.

TM