Help with Siemens SIMOREG Drive?

Well, i checked lots of things and eventually got someone at Siemens Tech support to get back to me.

The motor was not going overspeed at all, it would just stop. We have an input transformer before the drive and the voltage is relatively noise free at this stage.

After checking many things suggested to me and finding nothing wrong, the Siemens tech guy told me to mask the fault in the drive so it would not trip...

I'm not happy with the solution but he seemed pretty confident that this thing happens resonably regularly with spurious faults of this type and masking it would not cause any problems for the drive, motor or machine.

A couple things can cause that fault, some of which have been mentioned here.

I would meg out the motor, and make sure it's not developing any paths to ground to start.

Aside from that,

1) You say it's in dancer control, that does NOT have to be in speed mode. It is very common on those drives to use pure torque control while in dancer mode. If that is the case, overspeed can easily be tripped if the dancer feedback device or cabeling is getting intermittant.

2) Intermittant field connections will cause that problem as well.

3) A bad power/interface board, or A/D converter on the micro-board can also cause random FO38's.

The more common fault on 6RA24's operating in speed mode is F031, which is a speed regulator ref/fbk mismatch.