HMI "not reachable" to TIA 13

squiggz

Hi,

I’m having trouble connecting to the HMI on our brewhouse PLC. The PLC is a S7-1500 and the HMI is a tp2200 comfort, connected via ethernet. I just returned from taking a 4 month leave. I had no issues before I left and, to my knowledge, nothing changed or happened to the PLC/HMI while I was gone.

When I try to connect, TIA 13 just says that the HMI is unreachable. It doesn’t even show up when I search “Accessible Devices”. The HMI is obviously working and talking to the PLC, because the brewers are able to still brew without any issues.

I mainly deal with Allen Bradley products at my job, but I am slowly learning how to use Siemens products. I am unsure how to go about getting a connection to my PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edwin

image (5).jpg image (6).jpg image (7).jpg

It could be that the HMI is set for Ethernet transfer, not PNIE. The upside is that it supports routed connections, but it doesn't support profinet scan functions.

You can ping the HMI ?
Since you are online with the PLC, the ethernet card is working and the correct interface is selected.

Your TIA is quite old, and the dialog for going online has been improved in more recent TIA versions. I think that in TIA V13 it will only display so-called compatible devices. And that only includes devices that are the same firmware version as in the offline project.

Another thing is if on the HMI, the ethernet port can be set to 'PN/IE' or 'Ethernet'. When you try to go online, the 'type of interface' must match was it set on the HMI panel.

You can ping the HMI ?
Since you are online with the PLC, the ethernet card is working and the correct interface is selected.

Your TIA is quite old, and the dialog for going online has been improved in more recent TIA versions. I think that in TIA V13 it will only display so-called compatible devices. And that only includes devices that are the same firmware version as in the offline project.

Another thing is if on the HMI, the ethernet port can be set to 'PN/IE' or 'Ethernet'. When you try to go online, the 'type of interface' must match was it set on the HMI panel.

-The HMI does ping.
-I'm not sure how to check if the firmware for the HMI matches online/offline if I can't go online with it...
-Setting PN/IE vs Ethernet on the panel - are you talking about the physical connection on the panel? lf so, it just has 2 different sets of PN/IE ports that should be correct. That is what was selected when I've connected in the past.

Everything should be the same as it was 4 months ago. Nothing is connected to live internet and I have been told that no one else has messed with it. It doesn't make sense that I wouldn't be able to connect if nothing has changed.

Also, my apologies if I have misunderstood your advice. I do appreciate it.

And it just started working...without me doing anything.
Thanks again. I'm still not sure what is going on but hopefully it doesn't happen again.

-Setting PN/IE vs Ethernet on the panel - are you talking about the physical connection on the panel?
If you open the Windows Control Panel on the panel, you can open the properties of the network adapter and set amongst other things the mode 'ethernet' or 'PN/IE'.

For an intermittent problem like this I suspect that some device is interfering with the network.
If it happens again:
You can try to remove the panel from the network and connect to it directly.
You can scan the network with Proneta and see if something turns up. Duplicate addresses or like that.

And it just started working...without me doing anything.
Thanks again. I'm still not sure what is going on but hopefully it doesn't happen again.

not sure if it's related, but sometimes i have trouble getting connected to a device for the first time (that session) if i'm already connected to something else. But once i've been connected to each individually, i can almost always connect to them together. Not sure if it's related?