HMI PWS-1711/GD17-CST (NTP) – SLC 5/03 [Communication Settings]

Hi everyone! I had a lot of problems when a machine from China arrived a couple of months ago, it had an HMI I've never worked with, so I knew nothing about it (software, communication, etc.) I thought it was going to be easy to look for information on the internet but it wasn't at all.

I wrote a set of instructions describing the communication settings for those who get involved in the same problem I had. I just wrote them 10 minutes ago, so they may need some revisions. I will edit this post if needed if I remember anything else.

Feel free to contact me regarding this topic.

Thanks to the PLCTalk community for the valuable knowledge forum.

HMI GD17-CST (NTP) – SLC 5/03 [Communication Settings]
The following instructions were written while the settings were working properly to establish communication between PLC and HMI. Settings may be changed by the user if needed as it is not necessary to have exactly the same ones. If loss of communications occurs go back to these settings.
1. Install ADP 3.2 Software (HMI Software)
2. Set the dip switches of the HMI as follows: 1:ON, 2:ON, 3:ON, 4:ON, 5:OFF, 6:OFF, 7:ON, 8:OFF, 9:ON, 10:OFF.
3. When creating a new project on ADP select PWS-1711 color as the model (equivalent for GD17-CST)
4. Select AB SLC 5/03 as the controller
5. Set the address for the control block B3:0 with 2 as the size
6. Set the status block address to B3:2
7. Go to the Communications tab (still inside Application Properties) set the default station address of the PLC to 0 and for the Panel/Workstation to 2)
8. Once the project was created, go to options, and transmission setup. Configure the PC Port and baud rate (19200)
9. Create a Set Button from Basic Objects in screen 1
10. Double-Click the button. At the attribute tab set the variable to write as B3:3/0 (the word B3:3 will be used to handle instructions; the words B3:0, B3:1, B3:2 are already in use by the control block and status block)
11. Set the function of the button to Maintained
12. On application options click on compile
13. On file options save the project
14. Establish communication with the SLC 5/03 using the software needed (RSLinx/RSLogix)
15. Create a new project in RSLogix and configure the controller properties as needed.
16. On the project tree (usually located on the left hand of the main window) double click on channel configuration
17. Go to Channel 0 Tab and set the driver as DF1 Full Duplex, Baud 19200, Parity NONE, Stop Bits 1, Control Line No Handshaking, Error Detection BCC, Embedded Responses Enabled
18. You may loss communications after downloading the new settings to the PLC, reconfigure your settings on RSLinx and set the Error Detection to BCC
19. Communication cable pinout is as follows (first number male connector second number after the dash female connector): 3-2, 2-3, 5-5, 8-7, 7-8

Last edited: