Im in search of a new PLC but dont know which one to get?

I just bought a little micrologix 1000 plc as part of a trainer package and it has really been working out great for me. I am now looking for a second larger plc that I can start using for real world applications. I am still really new to plc's and I at sometimes dont know exactly what I am looking for.

I am woking on a project that I know will require at least 16 output points on the plc. When I have been searching for plc's I notice that a lot of them either run on AC power or they use 24v dc for input power. For the project I am working on, I will be using quite a few LED's for my output devices and they are made to be powered with 12 volts. Are there PLC's available that I can use a 12v battery for the input line and in return get 12volts out to each of the output points? I like Allen Bradley and programing with RSLogix software because that is what I learned on.

If 24v dc power is the norm, what would be the best or a good way to reduce the voltage down to 12v to power my output LED devices? If I used something to get the power down to 12volts, would that create a lag time when it came to turn on one of the output lights?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

David G.

24VDC is much more the norm. I would get some new LEDs or use a 1.5k resistor in series so I could use 24VDC.

David,

If you go with the 12 VDC type of PLC, then you will be unable to learn about the more-common-in-industry 24 VDC output devices. As Bob said, get one powered by and having 24 VDC inputs and outputs, then either use 24 VDC LEDs for your training, or go with voltage-divider resistors. Many of the Automation Direct DL-06 models will run on a DC voltage anywhere from 10 to 27 VDC, and with relay outputs you can run almost any voltage (AC or DC) through the relay output contacts. While you are in shopping mode, get yourself a small 120 VAC to 24 VDC power supply.

Last edited:
I dont know much about the Direct Logic Brand PLC's. Do you know if they come with some kind of interface cable to connect it to the computer so I can download the programs? Is it a certain kind of cable or can I just get a generic cable at a local store like walmart?

David

Check out Idec

Personally I am a fan of the Idec FC5A MicroSmart Pentra series of PLC's, I mostly use the FC5A-C24R2C. A former Allen-Bradley salesman turned me onto them, their language is easy to learn and they have the fastest processor speed on the market, I use them on every new and retrofit application in the plant. Not to mention they are also better priced than the AB's.

http://us.idec.com/Catalog/ProductFamily.aspx?FamilyName=Programmable_Controllers_PLCs

With the isolated Relay outputs (example O:0-O:3 are isolated from O:4-O:7 and O:10 & O:11 on the FC5A-C24R2C) you can have some outputs 24vdc and others 12vdc or 120vac or whatever combination you need.
They have snap on modules that range from additional I/O, RTD/Thermocouple, PID, 4-20ma, etc. I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
I dont know much about the Direct Logic Brand PLC's. Do you know if they come with some kind of interface cable to connect it to the computer so I can download the programs? Is it a certain kind of cable or can I just get a generic cable at a local store like walmart?

David
Look back at my post #2, see the 2nd link that pointed to a DL06 PLC. Here is a link to the programming cable for that PLC. Their current price is about the same as a generic cable.
Link:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Cables/PLC_Programming_-a-_Expansion/D2-DSCBL

Check out the WAGO 750 line.

www.wago.us/products/37712.htm

Programmed using CoDeSys which is a universal package used by many smaller brand PLC makers but including companies such as WAGO, ABB, B&R, Festo, etc...

As an A-B guy from way back the functionality of the CoDeSys PLCs are first rate when compared to the standard brick.

Good luck

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

Ok, I went with a Direct Logic 06 that can be powered by 12 to 24v DC Power. I have a couple of wiring questions though. First of all, I have been reading in the manual about sinking vs sourcing outputs and Its kind of confusing to me. Im not sure what that means or which one I should use in my application. Basicly my application is using an internal timer to turn on some output 12v pilot lights at different times. Does it matter a great deal weather or not I use sinking or sourcing outputs?.

Secnd question is about power supply for my outputs (my 12v LED lihts). If I hook one 12v battery up for the main power supply to the plc, Does that battery also provide the power to my outputs when they are turned on? Im trying to figure out if I can use just one battery to power the PLC which will also power my output devices, or do I need a separate power source to provide power to my outputs. I question that because I see in the manual a separate terminal for another output power source.

I appreciate all the help.

David G.

... I have been reading in the manual about sinking vs sourcing outputs and Its kind of confusing to me. Im not sure what that means or which one I should use in my application. Basicly my application is using an internal timer to turn on some output 12v pilot lights at different times. Does it matter a great deal weather or not I use sinking or sourcing outputs?.
Yes.

I am not familiar with that model, but ignore the text and look at the polarity of the wiring examples for your exact model, expansion card model if applicable.

Secnd question is about power supply for my outputs (my 12v LED lihts). If I hook one 12v battery up for the main power supply to the plc, Does that battery also provide the power to my outputs when they are turned on? Im trying to figure out if I can use just one battery to power the PLC which will also power my output devices, or do I need a separate power source to provide power to my outputs. I question that because I see in the manual a separate terminal for another output power source.

I appreciate all the help.

David G.

Many PLC transistor outputs can drive LEDs directly as low as 10vdc.
Tell us exactly which model you bought.