Injection Molding Machine

Critt

Hello all,

I have a project to upgrade an injection molding machine that someone else has started and went bad. (Mainly the controls for the valves). Press has one servo valve and a few proportional valves.

He has replaced the PLC with an Omron CJ2M, heaters on DeviceNET temperature controllers but the valves are being driven from these circuit boards that take 0-10VDC in and give 0-3 Amps out. Now I am not trying to reinvent the wheel and know this will probably never work for the different modes of control required.

I am thinking about using Bosch Rexroth VT-HACD-DPC and VT-HACD-DPQ cards but found out from the supplier that these cards are not going to be supported in 3 years time. My other option is to use a Delta controller but then I need to do all the programming.

The delta 151 would have no issues with this job just needs programming, the Bosch cards look like they are ready to go but are not going to be supported and have long lead time.

Just looking for possible other ideas or options for this job.

I can setup ( scaling, tuning, and programming ) in about 4 hts. How many axes are being controlled? Usually there is the mold and the injection. Sometimes there is a need to controlling the turning of the screw.

If only two valves are controlled you can get by with a RMC75.
If can write a flow chart then programming should be easy.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information, I have the following Valves (that are controlled with Analog set points/values)

Analog Outputs:
Proportional Throttle Valve - Speed Valve
Mold Protection Valve - Clamp Pressure Valve
Eject Valve -(FWD/BWD)
Injection Speed Valve - (Injection FWD/Screw Retract)
Pump Pressure Control Valve
Clamp Valve (Open Close)

Analog Inputs:
Clamp Position Transducer - (Temposonic LP Unit)
Eject Position Transducer - (Temposonic LP Unit)
Injection Position Transducer - (Temposonic LP Unit)
Clamp Pressure Transducer
Injection Pressure Transducer
Extruder Speed

I also have feedback from the following Valves
Injection Speed Valve - (Injection FWD/Screw Retract)
Proportional Throttle Valve - Speed Valve

In a previous life(10 years ago) I was a system integrator for Barber Coleman and we did numerous Injection and Blow Mold retrofits.

The Maco Compact is their current platform.

http://www.eurotherm.com/products/machine-control-systems/injection-molding/maco-compact-2/

http://www.eurotherm.com/products/m...njection-molding/retrofit/sample-screenshots/

A bit of a learning curve and it's more of a paint by numbers approach but gives you a very polished package just for Plastics.

Lynch Fluid controls make some relatively low cost PWM amps for Proportional valves if your valves do not have internal feedback.

http://lynch.ca/Products/DDPD

Last edited:
Hi baldone
The eurotherm is a solution... I looked at it (issue is I would be starting from the beginning with hardware and parts
The Lynch boards is what the other integrator was using for the servo and proportional valves which are not working