InTouch Scripting

kdoss

Can someone point me in the right direction to find some information on how to learn scripting using Intouch?

I need water pumps to turn on/off with tank levels.

Thanks.

You should control the pumps by writing an appropriate logic for it in your PLC and then use the InTouch SCADA to display the status of the pumps and tank level.

Last edited:
I just assumed that's how you did it. How else?

It is one way to do it. As Anirban said, it would be preferable to accomplish this task within your PLC logic, assuming that you have a PLC. Does your control system consist of only the HMI with an I/O system accessed via the HMI computer?

Putting aside the issue of best methods, you can learn about InTouch scripting via the Wonderware documentation and online help files. If you have Wonderware, then you already have the resources that you need at your disposal. Make yourself a test application and play around with it.

Yes whe have PLCs and I/O. We have been using InTouch just to monitor for over a year with no problems but they are switching the tank levels from SCADA to fiber and wanted to control everything through InTouch.

Can you a give a little more description as to what problem you are exactly facing by controlling from PLC?

I am asking this because it is ideal to control from PLC itself.

Yes whe have PLCs and I/O. We have been using InTouch just to monitor for over a year with no problems but they are switching the tank levels from SCADA to fiber and wanted to control everything through InTouch.

It would be easy enough to write this logic with InTouch Quick Scripts, but how would you interface InTouch with the pump controls? Do you have an I/O Server that will link InTouch to this new fiber optic interface? Does this new interface include discrete controls that could operate your pump motor starters, or does it simply monitor the tank levels?

Right now we just monitor. I have the IP address of each PLC and it all configured thorugh DAServer Manager (DASABCIP) and InTouch.

I was told it would be easier to control though InTouch by the guy who setup our PLC and tags. We have 10 water wells and 3 elevated tanks scatted all over town and need to be controled by tank levels.

Does this make sense?

Right now we just monitor. I have the IP address of each PLC and it all configured thorugh DAServer Manager (DASABCIP) and InTouch.

I was told it would be easier to control though InTouch by the guy who setup our PLC and tags. We have 10 water wells and 3 elevated tanks scatted all over town and need to be controled by tank levels.

Does this make sense?

what happens if the intouch application shuts down? typically you would want to have a plc doing the controls and use something like wonderware to monitor the levels and change setpoints. actual control logic should be done in the plc. You can make it work using intouch, but I would only go that route if you have no other choice(but you do have choices).

not sure what you mean by switching from scada to fiber. if all of these plcs and the intouch application are on a fiber network, you can definitely do messaging between the plcs to handle your controls.

What Diat150 says is exactly what I was going to say too.

I would like to add that I can't figure out why your setup guy thinks it would be easier to do by InTouch scripting though?