Is the PLC dead ?

PAC

Olá Marcelo, como vai?

I believe we are talking of the same thing, like we say here, they just change the flies.

Some PLC makers are trying to change the name, to show us that they have a new “revolutionary” product.

From what I’ve read, the new PAC offers exactly what we expect from a PLC nowadays. I don’t remember changing a car’s name just because it offers airbags.

João

P.S.

Marcelo: how do you think this “new” thing will be called in Portuguese? We could change the name from “autómato” to “autómato”. That would be a good name, what do you think?

João

Dear João,

That´s a trick question... :)

You know, English words are very familiar in Brazil... :rolleyes:

Down here the people says PLC instead of CLP, pretty often...

How about Controlador Programável Automático..... :D CPA !!!! or Controlador Automático Programável.. ;) CAP... that´s more like it..

I bet nobody cares about PAC... So, it means the word PAC or even the concept is pretty much a marketing thing than a "revolutionary" stuff.

But, thank you very much for your information.

Keep me posted about Portugal the "Good Land" ( A Boa Terra como dizem por aqui...)

Regards

Marcelo Nunes

Here is another PAC

Hi all
I think Product by yaskawa can also be included as PAC.
My personal experiance with this that the price for this item is much higher than our known modular PLC .for example this controller can control up to 14 axis simultaneously if you want to control a machine with only 4 axis is it better to use this (n) or use a PLC with 4 axis motion controller .you shouldn't pay for what you are not going to use. 📓
So price wise in small and even medium applications the PLC will be more economic.
another question should be discussed how will PAC will cover all the process automation range to receive anlog signals ,encoders,TC,pt100......etc
Is all of this type of inputs and outputs will be built in or ther will be seperate modules.
If it's seperate modules so we return back to a PLC technology.
If it is built in can any one could tell me what is the price??????
I am just wondring banghead

Hesham:

Are you referring to Yaskawa MP930?

Yes, it is probably more expensive than Omron, but much cheaper than ControlLogix. And beats them both dead in what it can do motionwise. Well, there is a new Omron CS1/CJ1 servo motion module (not available in US yet, BTW). But it is actually Yaskawa's...

For four axis application, there is MP920. For one-axis - MP940. To me, all of them are PLCs - with advanced motion capabilities.

Hesham:

I think I have some data on list prices at work; I'll check it later.
Of course, our local supplier gives us a discount, but I will not tell you how much - of course... ;)

I am very curious about MP2300, but it is also not available in United States yet... as well as their newest Sigma III series servo amp series (where they, with the help of some Israeli hi-tech company, allegedly fixed auto-tuning problems - finally!).

They do very powerful stuff, but their marketing policy is strange, to say the least. And the software is awkward...

Hi Hesham and Ladder Logic,

I´m not sure if the Yaskawa product could be included as a PAC device... :confused:

I guess the PAC´s application concept is wider than the Yaskawa MP930... What do you think ?

Acctualy I´m not sure if the PAC concept is a "revolutionary" thing as told by arcweb.com.... Nobody cares about PAC... Nobody knows what is PAC for... including me... :)

Thank you for your help...

Regards from Brazil

Marcelo Nunes

Well guys, I or one do remember the days when a PLC was really a PLC, meaning you were limited to pure logic instructions. Those days we could only dream of analog I/O, communication, math and so on. I even remember a PLC were timers were only available as hardware components.

Nowadays all controllers have more or less capabilities in those fields, so I think it's normal manufacturers search for other acronyms. I was told by the people from Rockwell Belgium that they consider their controllers not to be PLC's but Programmable Controllers.

In that view I prefer PAC, otherwise we would be programming our PC (Programmable Controller) by means of a PC (Personal Computer) :unsure: . Or let us stick to PLC, we all know what it means.

Kind regards,

One of GE's "PAC" systems can use the same cards that the 90-30 systems use so it can't be that different. They just added a faster processor/backplane and the ability to do a lot more stuff in the controller itself. It's all semantics.

Ladderlogic
Thank you very much for your help.Do you have ane idea about MP2300 price compared to MP930
:site: