Java PLC Interface

c4rlz

Hi,

Does anyone know if it would be possible (and practical) to create a java based PLC simulator (or know of any examples) ?

I am familiar with the basics of Java, and have been tasked with creating a software package which teaches people how to use a PLC. This would need to include a basic PLC simulator. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this would may be achieved?

Before I start trawling my way through books learning Java, I would like some opinions on whether it is worth doing.

Many Thanks in advance,
Carl

Carl - yes, it's possible to write a PLC simulator. I believe it would be a significant undertaking in Java or any other language, particularly without a software engineering background.

One option if you're serious about writing it in Java is writing it as an Ignition module. You would write it in Java, but would get significant benefits of the platform (visualization frameworks, backend database, object serialization, network launching, and various other things built in). You'd register as a developer since they have to help with digitally signing your module, etc. It doesn't cost anything, but you would probably benefit from the 3 developer course that they offer if you're serious about it.

This link provides info about the Ignition Developer Program and SDK:
http://www.inductiveautomation.com/news/item/257

Greetings Carl ...

I would like some opinions on whether it is worth doing.

well, let's just say that there are already several PLC simulators available – some of them for free ... click the link at the top of this forum page for one handy example ...

I have been tasked with creating a software package which teaches people how to use a PLC.

perhaps if you could go into some detail about what you mean by "use a PLC" we could give you some more detailed advice on how to approach your project ...

(a) by "use" do you mean "programming" the PLC? ... or ...

(b) by "use" do you mean "going online with the PLC and interpreting an existing program as part of a troubleshooting task" ? ... or ...

(c) by "use" do you mean something else entirely? ...

going further ...

(d) will this software package that you're creating be specific to some particular brand – and a specific platform and model - or will it be "generic" in nature? ... and ...

(e) how deep a level will the prospective students be expected to go with their training? ... and ...

(f) last - but certainly not least - you're going to get paid for doing this project – correct? ...

this isn't meant to discourage you, but personally I get (on average) two or three email or phone call requests a day for something along the lines that you're planning ... frankly, at 65 years of age, I sincerely doubt that I'd have time to finish such a project – and do it full justice ... so – what's your timeframe on getting this done? ...

suggestion:

take some time to define the ultimate goals of this project – and post them here ... we'll be glad to try to help – but it would definitely be best to carefully identify the target before you start shooting ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Last edited:
Java PLC interface

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am much clearer now on the goals of the project. I need to create a teaching platform for people who want to learn the basics of what a generic PLC can do (not specific to brand). This platform will most likely be a website, and embedded into the site there will be some sort of java-programmed interactive package which will enable the user to learn certain tasks. For example the task may be programming a PLC using Ladder Logic software to turn input 1 on and output 1 will turn on.

I suppose my question to you would be how would you go about doing this...what would be the lessons you would teach a beginner, and how could you program them in Java?

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Carl

Can't you find something simple that is already done?
Writing PLC software is like invading Russia, it goes on and on and on and on seemingly without end. I know. I am stuck in the mud and snow right now around Minsk. ( a metaphor ). If you add up your time you will find it isn't worth it. It is much more cost effective to buy a dozen or so $100, ok make that pounds, PLCs.