Kinetix 5500 DCBusUnderVoltageFactoryLimit

JamesCash

Good day:

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Kinetix 5500 S33 Fault. I have 3 drives in a group set as follows:

2198-H025-ERS2 Shared AC/DC
2198-H008-ERS2 Shared DC
2198-H008-ERS2 Shared DC

All set to Bus Regulator Action: Shunt Regulator Internal

All in Group 1.

Drive 1 has FW 7.014 and the 2 H008 drives are at FW 5.3.7. Using Studio5000 Rev28.011.

I have measured the incoming AC voltage, it appears to be well in spec @ 450V. Drives are setup for 460-3 Phase.

All 3 drives fault S33 when Bus Regulator Action is set on all drives to Shunt Regulator Internal. Only the 2 H008 drives fault if I only set Bus Regulator Action to Shunt Regulator on the H025 drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

Last edited:
Solved.

The DCBusUnderVoltageFactoryLimit was tripping because a safety scanner was being tripped. This in turn would drop out the contactor in front of the Leading drive. The sporadic nature was developed by the bleed off time of the Kinetix capacitors.

The 3rd party code I am working with was not tracking the fault nor resetting it once the DCBus recharged.

Lessons to learn: track your faults!

Last edited:
These drives have STO connector on top and this would probably be preferred way of safety wiring (not contactor in front of leading drive).

These drives have STO connector on top and this would probably be preferred way of safety wiring (not contactor in front of leading drive).
These are ERS2 drives and thus utilize the CIP STO over Ethernet. There is no hardwired STO.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Either way, using the STO function is better than dropping line power if you have a safety PLC that supports CIP safety over Ethernet. I haven't used the ERS2 drives yet. Do they only have CIP STO over Ethernet without the option to hard wire it?

Dropping line power is hard on the power stage of a drive and will very likely cause premature failure of the bus caps or the inrush circuits.
The STO function by itself is typically good up to PLd or CAT 3. To go higher, I've seen load side contactors used with a <short> delay on opening to allow the drive's output stage to stop conducting first.

Either way, using the STO function is better than dropping line power if you have a safety PLC that supports CIP safety over Ethernet. I haven't used the ERS2 drives yet. Do they only have CIP STO over Ethernet without the option to hard wire it?

Dropping line power is hard on the power stage of a drive and will very likely cause premature failure of the bus caps or the inrush circuits.
The STO function by itself is typically good up to PLd or CAT 3. To go higher, I've seen load side contactors used with a <short> delay on opening to allow the drive's output stage to stop conducting first.
I whole heartily agree with you about the contactor in-line with the supply. However, when you are integrating into a third party cell, the design has been done and there’s not much say in how the machine was built originally. I would have designed it quite a bit differently myself, but our company is just re-writing the process to go in the opposite direction.

Love the insight I’ve received so far!

To answer your question, yes the ERS2 drives handle STO over Ethernet. Couple the drive to Guardlogix processors.