Label Printer Suggestions

califflash

I'm in the market for a new label printer and wanted to see what everyone was using. I've used the Panduit thermal transfer printer for the last 5ish years, but moved on from that company. My big issue with the panduit printer was not being able to print terminal block labels. It seems like progress has solved this issue, but I would like to print terminal markers for multiple brands of terminal blocks since I tend to float on which ones I use.

Printer wish list:
Print shrink tube wire labels
Print terminal block labels (Allen-Bradley, Wago, & Phoenix)
Print device labels

I've looked at the newish AB Clearmark so far. The printer seemed a little on the expensive side, not surprisingly, and the terminal label stock seemed pretty reasonable. The shrink tube labels and ribbon look like they are about double what the Panduit stock used to cost me.

Any thoughts, experience, or information would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

We have the Brady BMP71 label printer package.

It prints labels, wire markers, cable markers, etc.

It is a PITA. It feels like it is going to break every time I have to load new media into it. It randomly comes up with 'ribbon empty' alarms. It is quite expensive, but feels very cheap. We upgraded to this from the TLS2000 printers and I am not sure how much of an upgrade this was. I would not overly recommend this product.

I use the Brady BMP21. We don't build a lot of panels, and when we do, they're on the small side. This printer is great for field wiring but there are better options for folks who do panel wiring all day every day. I got the kit with the carrying case and rechargeable battery pack. It will eat regular AA batteries like candy without that pack. The battery pack lasts a long long time between charging.

I don't have any real complaints about it. I could gritch about the price of materials, but they are very durable and come in so many varieties in addition to the printer being so cheap, I understand the way they make their money so I won't gripe about it.

I have the Brady BMP71 as well and it is fine - have had no issues. Also portable and can be taken to site and the keyboard used or the software on the laptop.

Brady BMP71 user here as well. I've had absolutely no problems with mine.
I use the BMP21 for panels and the BMP71 for legend plates and ID tags. The materials are good quality as long as you buy the correct kind for your application.
I got some laminated polyester labels once by mistake and oh my frick what a mess. Would not stick to THHN at all unless I took alcohol and wiped the wire down. Don't have that problem with the vinyl labels.

The legend plates are good quality. Ive got several living in an anodizing line with no signs of deterioration after 6 months. The standard metal plates would have bubbled up in that time and pitted.

If you use Phoenix Contact components..
Nice devices that also print the snap in TB labels.
But if wire labeling only, you do not need to be using phoenix contact components.
BUT....the media is little expensive.
The software is great, you can save print jobs and change numbering inside the print job (so many labels wire #1000 and so many labels wire 10001 and so on)...it will also auto sequence the wire numbers too.
Yes, you will also need a PC, but in the deal I got..PHOENIX supplied the laptop with software installed for free....you have to get media from them anyway.

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a/usen/web/main/products/subcategory_pages/Thermal_transfer_printing_systems_P-12-01-04/6d229357-988b-41e3-963d-1411a53fb384