Logix 5000 sequencer

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am rolling my own sequencer in logix 5000 (v18) and have a few queries. I am using integers to represent my steps.

I have an AOI as each step at the end has a time delay, and then in the AOI there is logic to transition to the next step. Is it possible to have the AOI write to a controller or program scoped tag? If not what is the best way to advance to the next step, a ONS MOV?

I'm probably not understanding your question correctly. Of course you can move or copy the AOI's instance to another tag. The instance of the AOI itself has to be either a controller or program tag.

I am rolling my own sequencer in logix 5000 (v18) and have a few queries. I am using integers to represent my steps.

I have an AOI as each step at the end has a time delay, and then in the AOI there is logic to transition to the next step. Is it possible to have the AOI write to a controller or program scoped tag? If not what is the best way to advance to the next step, a ONS MOV?

A controller or programmed scoped tag can be passed by reference in the AOI's input/output definition.

Sounds like how I do sequences to some extent. I haven't found a use for an AOI for step transitions, perhaps you can elaborate on that?

My approach is:

EQU Step_No 1000 BST (actions to take in this step)
NXB (conditions to move to next step) MOV 1100 Step_No BND

If it gets complicated, you can use several rungs all with EQU Step_No 1000 at the start of the rung. Most of the time, I use one rung per step.

To advance to the next step, MOV the next step number into the Step_No tag is sufficient. The ONS isn't needed. The next scan, the rung will be false anyway due to the new step number.

Unless you specifically need the code in the AOI, abandon using them. Start simple, condition met for step x, add 1 to step, do something/fire outputs, conditions met for step x+1, add 1 to step, do something/fire outputs, and so on.

I do apologise for not updating this thread for ages... I took onboard the advice (abandoned the AOI approach) using MOV's instead and it's working great.

My reason behind using an AOI in the 1st place; I searched on here for advice on L5K sequencers and came across several threads and got the AOI idea from this one: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=688267#post688267

Thanks!