LOST Communication: SLC 5/1 w/1747-UIC

SouthPahw

SLC 500 5/1 using RSLinx and a 1747-UIC USB Connection.
I had communications, adjusted program numerous times.
Was having issue with a C-More (another issue) and thought I needed to change the Channel Configuration, from 19,2 to 9,600. Mistake. Natuarally after download, I can no longer connect. I have tried reconfiguring the com port, uninstalling the driver in both PC and RSLinx. Tried multiple swaps back in forth and multiple Baud rates. I know I set the PLC for 9600 (mistake mentioned above), and thus tried everything set to that. Still can not get RSLinx to find and recognise the PLC now. Suggestions?

You have identified a weakness in the 1747-UIC; it cannot be configured for any DH485 speed other than 19200 baud.

Your two options are to clear the SLC-5/01 program to return it to defaults, or to get a PC with a built-in serial port and run the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

Edit: on the SLC-5/03,4,5 the Vdd and GND pins are conveniently labeled. To clear the memory of an SLC-5/01 or 5/02 controller:

1. Remove Power.
2. Remove CPU Module.
3. Remove Memory Module (EEPROM)- 1747-M1 if present
4. Disconnect Battery.
5. Locate RAM (IC3).
6. Connect Pins 14 and 28 (PWR & GND) with paper clip.
NOTE: The preferred connection method is to use a 10 Ohm Resistor.
7. Short for at least 20 seconds.

Last edited:
Ken,
I also have a PIC and Com port, the 1747-UIC also has a RS232 on it (not sure if that will work.) Quit using the PIC because of Com issues jumping form one software to another, in short order. Anyways, I may go ahead and clear memory, but if I use the PIC, just set BAUD, and then change back? Thanks for the quick response, in plant now working with it.

If you physically go back to using a 1747-PIC device with a real built-in serial port on your computer, you can configure the RSLinx Classic "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver for 9600 baud and go back online with the CPU.

Most users have abandoned that driver for the same reasons you did, but it still comes in handy in rare instances.

The 1747-UIC is fixed at 19200 baud for either of the two ports.

Ken, I got it back with deleting the program. I would have to of gone and got my pic, which about 19 seconds into shorting the CPU I thought maybe I should of slowed down, lol. But it all worked out great, got program back in and on the go again. I will post new post my problem with the C-More which let me into this mess. I can't Thank you enough!