Low voltage Electrical Panel - Code Question?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can a low voltage electrical panel be designed to be opened without powering it off first without violating any electrical codes?

Panel will have 120VAC and a max current rating of 20AMPS. All AC terminals will have finger safe guards and or clear shields that will require them to be removed using a tool in order to gain access to AC components. 90% of the panel contents will be 24VDC controls & I/O wiring.

Thanks

It's supposed to have an interlock to prevent it from being opened while it's energized, except when defeated with a tool. Normally this is done via the disconnect whose handle is mounted through the door. Most disconnects are designed such that a screwdriver can defeat the interlock and allow the door to open without opening the disconnect itself.

But with only 120VAC, I'm not sure I'd even worry about it assuming it's in an industrial environment and the door has clamps that require a screwdriver to open.

I don’t think it’s too much of a code issue, it’s more of is the panel labeled with boundaries and appropriate PPE requirements.

I think it’s all listed in NFPA 70e.