Manual Valve (VB): Retrofit A Position Indicator??

I am currently working on same kind of project except hazardous situation. Mine is more on Hot water system, but principle is the same.

Currently, we have manual ball valves in line. We have decided to use Sharpe SPNII115SR11 spring return Pneumatic actuator, sized for 80 psi, set to Fail Closed And Automax 81237AOT positioner, 4-20 mA input signal And Top mounted NXCLU2M11800200 limit switch box, mechanical Open/Closed Switches NEMA 4, to make it automated.

If you are not giving analog signal to control, you could just use limit box with mechanical open/close switches.

Hope this helps.

I am currently working on same kind of project except hazardous situation. Mine is more on Hot water system, but principle is the same.

Currently, we have manual ball valves in line. We have decided to use Sharpe SPNII115SR11 spring return Pneumatic actuator, sized for 80 psi, set to Fail Closed And Automax 81237AOT positioner, 4-20 mA input signal And Top mounted NXCLU2M11800200 limit switch box, mechanical Open/Closed Switches NEMA 4, to make it automated.

If you are not giving analog signal to control, you could just use limit box with mechanical open/close switches.

Hope this helps.

So ... you're fully automating the valves. Yeah ... that would be the 'Cadillac" solution. I was just looking at one of our Process Bays' worth of Manual Ball Valves yesterday ... and there were (13) of them (in just this one Area)! I seriously doubt they'd replace each set in each Area ... it's actually FIVE Process Areas (now) ... we added a new Area last year that has it's own set of Valves (although maybe not 13 over there). So we're probably talking maybe as many as 13x5 = 65 valves! That's why I was thinking about just adding the Position Indicators to just Indicate CLOSED.

Do you happen to have a (rough?) per-valve cost number to do what you're doing? I know there's labor on top of the Materials Cost ... to pull all the wires and disassemble each valve ... but maybe just the Materials Cost? My application is "Hazardous", too ... so probably similar, cost-wise...??

======
Here are pictures of three different Ball Valves from just the ONE Process Area I looked at. One seems to have a metal bracket, while the others look like they'd need some kind of retrofitted bracket?

--- OOPS! ---- Not sure how to post a picture on this site? Can't just drag-n-drop it, it appears. Tried the HELP/FAQ, but when I click on the link to show me how to attach pictures, it says "Adobe Flash Player Not Supported".

Maybe I have to host it somewhere else and then attach the URL? Which site do you guys use to do that?

Last edited:
My project includes is going to be for Hot water line. Specification: pipe OD 2 3/8”, NPS= 2”, temp = 0-100C, Pressure- 45-50 PSI, GPM - 125-130.

Exact cost would be CAD 4527.00 for each valve.

I have attached a picture for your application. You can mount this kind of connection on top of your ball valve. Which would give signal for fully close/open position. Pretty simple mounting with bracket.

31860C29-C8C8-4D03-AFF6-E98BB8D5B394.jpg EAF6175D-2EE5-437C-BFB2-9BCC035AF121.jpg

For attachment, you can click on post reply, new tab will open. And over there you should be able to attach images and links and everything. Once you are done, click on submit reply.

When you open up a reply scroll down you will see Attach files, klick this & a box pops uo where you can add files & upload, then press submit, files are limited in size depending on if you pay or use the free one, note only certain files can be uploaded, i.e. pdf's zips, jpeg etc.

So had similar issue some years ago. We used two proximity sensors per valve. Did this to sense fully open or closed. In code we would lock out unless we were in "proper" position.
We felt this was best to prove valve was either Opened or Closed and not partially either way.

OK ... FINALLY straightened it out! Before, what I was doing was ... editing a Reply, and there was an "Attach Image" icon that I clicked on ... but it only accepted a URL. Turned out, I had to click the "Advanced" button?

Anyway ... here are three different valves from just one Process Area... ahhh ... I rotated them to make them "upright" on my Computer (from my iPhone), but then the Forum rotated them again! Had to go back and re-rotate them to make them appear "upright" here! Ugh!

Manthan: Your $4527/valve CAD is just for the materials, or does that include installation, too?

IMG_8144.JPG IMG_8145.JPG IMG_8146.JPG

Last edited: