Messaging from a PLC5 SoftLogix to a Compact Logix controller

I was wondering if someone could give me a hand with messaging data from a PLC5 SoftLogix to a CompactLogix controller. I have read the help files and a couple of posts on this forum, but must be doing something wrong, because it keeps erroring out. Here are some screen shots of the logic, setup on both ends, and the error.

Thanks.

MSG Logic.jpg MSG Setup and Error.jpg CompactLogix Mapping.jpg CompactLogix Ladder Logic 1.jpg CompactLogix Ladder Logic 2.jpg

As Ron Beaufort would say: the "secret handshake" is that "Multi-Hop" means "use the ControlLogix EtherNet/IP protocol".

Old PLC-5E and SLC-5/05's only used an A-B proprietary protocol called "CSPv4" on Ethernet. That's what you're configuring in that RSLogix 5 screenshot.

Change the MSG to a "Multi-Hop" message and put in the routing information in the tab that appears. The first line will have the target IP address, and the second line will have the "1, 0" hop to the backplane object and the controller in "Slot 0". For the purpose of message paths, CompactLogix controllers behave like ControlLogix controllers in Slot 0.

I tried the Multi-Hop and got a "Ethernet Multi-Hop is not available for this processor type" error. I have included a screen shot. I am using a Compact Logix L32E. Any ideas?

MSG Logic Error.jpg

By "processor type" it means the SoftLogix 5.

I didn't check before posting but now I'm surprised to find that the SoftLogix 5 never got the EtherNet/IP protocol.

It was added to the PLC-5E, the 1785-ENET, and the SLC-5/05 in 1999 or 2000, and those controllers support both CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP.

I'm basing my answer on RA Knowledgebase article ID 25234.

You might have to stick with DH+ for communications to the SoftLogix 5.

Ethernet is just a transport medium. The application protocol is what counts.

And I realize it's jarring to have two Allen-Bradley controllers that both connect to Ethernet but can't communicate with one another. But the SoftLogix 5 is over 15 years old and it just never got the modern communications stack.

The only way I can think of to perform this data transfer is the other way around, in which the CompactLogix sends a MSG command to an EtherNet/IP-to-DH+ gateway.

This could be done with 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO modules, if they happen to exist in your system. Or there are a handful of EtherNet/IP to DH+ standalone bridges: I like the QTS AN-X module.

I have both. There is a DH+ network already on the SoftLogix and I have several ENI modules in our store room. So that might be an option. My original problem is that the Compact Logix station is currently being interfaced with the Soft Logix by VB6, and then the VB6 program is sending that data to our records server. Unfortunately it's not always getting the data. I was hoping to be able to send the data directly to the Compact Logix from the Soft Logix, and then pull the data to the VB program. The communication to the Compact Logix is alot less than the Soft Logix, being its the main controller for our assembly line, so I was hoping to be able to get more efficient data transfer.

1761-NET-ENI modules probably won't help, here, unless the SoftLogix also has a serial port (I don't know if they ever did).

To send a message to DH+ from a CompactLogix requires a bridge, and that means the 1756-DHRIO.

We are also looking at replacing the Soft Logix with a Control Logix, it might be best if I just wait on that and use this issue to push the project. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!