Micro800 non-recoverable fault won't clear on restart

philliph

I'm editing a program that has been in operation on my Rockwell Automation Mico850. The unit faulted while (re)downloading the program via ethernet. The fault is of the non-recoverable type, meaning the procedure to clear it is a power-down restart. This is not clearing the error even after isolating the unit from all i/o and the terminal. The fault appears immediately on applying power. Is this unit destined for the junk pile, or there a trick to getting inside?

Have you tried to re-download your program? When you do CCW should give you the Fault code and ask if you want to reset.

You say the unit Faulted WHILE downloading the NEW program (so it did not fault when unit was placed into run mode of the new edited program??) If the latter is true I would say you have a program error!!

While rockwell software protects against a obvious programming error being downloaded.. A Full DINT Word used on a XIC/XIO instruction.. It will not protect against bad data in the data types, It won't protect against overflows, etc. Look for anything that you have running mathematics that can overflow almost instantly. A Real shouldn't be affected easily considering it'll go into Exponent display. But DINTs, etc very well could. A timer PRE being written to by a MOV, etc from a Real COULD send a number bigger than allowed and fault it.

Thanks for your responses - R.I.P. Micro850

I'm back from my colonoscopy - thanks everyone for writing. I'm going to guess it is a dead unit. When I try to boot up, the LEDs on the two 2080-MOT-HSCs stay lit as if the start-up halted. There's no ethernet and no way to talk to the unit. I've tried with the HSCs removed with no success.

the time spent on this thread will soon exceed the cost of a new unit ...

No 850's are not cheap

philliph said:
I'm going to guess it is a dead unit

I will buy it from you (not much, im cheap), I have been trying to get a bad one to see if anything can be done in bringing life back into them

I just want to say this - I realize there is an exception for everything.

I have been using the Micro800 series Plc's for well over 6 years, I have 100's out in the field (Oilfield super harsh environment) and I have yet had one go bad.

When you try to download a program into this unit does CCW not tell you the Fault and code #.