Micrologix 1200 & PanelView Topology

USA_Hole17

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me for some of my ignorance, I am relatively new to the PLC community.

I am setting up a machine monitoring system on one of our manufacturing lines and am trying to get our Micrologix 1200 controlled assets on Ethernet.

To do this I purchased the 1761-NET-ENI/D Ethernet module to be installed with the processor. We have PanelView's set up via RS-232 and it's my understanding that you can not daisy chain this setup like you can with the DH+ network.

What I'm looking for is some advice on how I can get the Micrologix 1200 on the network while still maintaining connection / functionality with the PanelView and the processor.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hey dude,

No worries about being new; we've all started somewhere.

- The 1761-NET-ENI was discontinued in 2015. I would not advise installing it in any system due to increased cost and low availability on the market. In a few years, you'll have to buy this on eBay.

- In terms of the system you've described, I would advise migrating toward a new controller / HMI that are natively on EtherNet/IP. I would think that your monitoring project should be able to justify the cost of a CompactLogix controller (Ex: 1769-L24ER-QB1B) and a new HMI screen.

If you're going to stick to the MicroLogix 1200, it's possible to make it work on dual channels. one would connect to the HMI, the other to the EtherNet module.

Also, keep in mind that the ENI module is "questionable"... It can only service 4 (maybe 8?) connections from what I can remember which includes your PC when you're programming. I've seen sites that would exceed the number and cause problems on the controller.

All the best...
Vlad

Certain models of the ML1200 had two serial ports. If you have one with a serial port on the side as well as the front, then you might be able to use your Ethernet bridge to network it. If yours has only one port, then you can't directly connect it to Ethernet and would need to upgrade.

You could upgrade the HMI only to one that supports Ethernet and serial protocols but that would only give you network access to the HMI, not the PLC.

Upgrading the 1200 to a Micrologix 1400 should be pretty straightforward. The 1400 has two serial ports and an Ethernet port and would be the route I would take.

We have PanelView's set up via RS-232

First, let's figure out whether those PanelView terminals are using DF1 Full Duplex protocol or DH485 protocol. Check and post the exact part number of the terminal.

As noted by others a MicroLogix 1200 with two serial ports can connect easily to two DF1 devices.

There are also some aftermarket equivalents or replacements for the 1761-NET-ENI (and some ways to use simpler devices with HMI/SCADA), so I wouldn't worry too much about the Net-ENI's availability.

It might be cheaper and/or faster to replace the MicroLogix 1200's with MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 controllers, with built-in Ethernet. They support the same I/O structure and most of the same functionality, though you will want to examine carefully the I/O support and any high-speed inputs or PWM outputs.

If you absolutely have to use the Net-ENI and the existing MicroLogix, you might be able to use one of the old port splitters, 1761-DPS1 or -DPS2.

Let's check those PanelViews and see if there are any other stumbling blocks with the serial protocol first.