Micrologix 1400 error capture

Asefakaratas

Hello all,

I want to get the alarms of extension modules of ml1400. There are S:6 and S:29 system datas. When a module has an error we want to record the module errors from these system datas. When the cpu gets a fault it can't make move function from S bit to a N bit. Is there a way to record module datas? As a result when a module has an error we can't make move function because plc stops. Also can we change the bit of S:1/8 by a push button. It seems that they are for read only.

What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance. :site:

Even when a CPU is not in Run mode - Program or faulted - it still does its communications in the background so that RSLogix and a HMI/SCADA system can get the data, RSLogix can see the error and attempt to clear it,

Have the HMI watch the values of S:6 and S:29 and if they change log them - with the date and time. Or the HMI could watch a pulsed bit from the CPU and if it stops pulsing a timer timesout and logs the values.

If you are lucky enough to be using a Red Lion HMI, I have shared an example that decodes the hexadecimal error code and displays the text right out of the A/B manual for the corresponding error. There are some differences between the SLC and Micrologix error codes, but most of them are the same. The bulk of the differences relate to the Micrologix built in functions like HSC and such. I have made the changes required for the Micrologix along with images for Micrologix hardware, but don't have an example I can share without taking the time to peel it out of a completed project.

The example in the link I am sharing will work on the Crimson 3.0 emulator, so even if you are not using a Red Lion HMI, you can tweak the example to match your machine network and run it on a PC linked to the suspect PLC and use it.

https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/980-crimson-30-slc-error-codes-with-text/

I haven't tested this - but can't a few mov instructions in the PLC's fault routine capture the fault codes, time, date, etc?

The advantage to doing that might be to make the PLC do the parsing for you and put the registers you need to read somewhere more convenient. I'd just as soon read the status registers directly and not rely on a fault routine to run properly for all foreseeable situations.