Micrologix 1400 to IAI MSEL controller

Ryan Ramsey

Hello,
I'm Ryan, I'm new to this site and thought I would try It out so here's my question. Can the IAI MSEL controller understand a Allen Bradley (MSG) instruction to communicate position via Ethernet? I have been working with
RS500 for about 5years but have yet to use anything Ethernet I am very excited to give it a try. What I am doing is using an Omron fq-2 vision system to capture an image of A part to be assembled, to determine the orientation. Once the orientation is found the data will be sent from the FQ-2 to the PLC via Ethernet (read MSG instruction?) then sent to the IAI controller to move to that position.

If this will not work the Data can be sent directly from the FQ-2 to MSEL.

I personally think it would be nice to have all the data available in the PLC does anyone agree with that?

Does anyone think that going from the FQ-2 directly to the drive is a shortcut, or that there may be good reason not to.

Also I Have access to rs5000 which I have never used but have been told that a control logix controller could Easley manage this task. the only reason It turns me off is the job is very time sensitive and I still have the IAI software to learn. So if at all possible I would like to use a Micro logix controller.

Thank you,
~~Ryan Ramsey~~

Yes, a Logix class controller could Explicit Message to/from a IAI MSEL controller containing an EtheNet/IP Gateway unit, however, the integration between the two controllers needs to be accomplished via a cyclic (I/O) type connection; on the Logix side, for an 8 axii IAI controller, a Generic EtherNet/IP module (INT-Comms Data) with an Input Assembly (Instance 100) size of 125 16-bit words (124 Ins+1 Config) and Output Assembly (Instance 150) size of 124 16-bit words needs to be implemented.
MicroLogix controllers are not Logix Class; you cannot establish an I/O Class connection to an IAI controller; you might be able to Explicit Message(MSG) between the two if you have access to the IAI controller Object structure data/information.

Last edited:
Thanks For the Reply,
Lets see if I Understand what your saying because everything Ethernet is foreign to me.
Control logix and mirco logix communicate via Ethernet differently?

If this is true can you describe the differences?

You say I might Be able to Explicit Message(MSG) between the two(IAI-Micro logix) if I have access to the IAI controller Object structure data/information.

How do I get access to that information, is it simply in a manual/datasheet or located in the IAI software?

Any response would be helpful I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
~~Ryan~~

Later model MicroLogix controllers are capable to communicate over EtherNet/IP (CIP Generic Messaging) like all Logix class controllers, however, they are not capable to establish I/O class connections (cyclic, automatic data exchange); your IAI robotic controller will need this type (I/O class)of established communications with a system controller for a proper integration.
Explicit Messaging (MSG)is a non-cyclic data exchange implemented via user programming coded logic; while very capable, Explicit Messaging is to be used only for non-time critical data exchange.

Refer to Page 11 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm020_-en-p.pdf for Logix Class CPUs CIP services

Refer to Page 435 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1766-rm001_-en-p.pdf for MicroLogix 1400 CIP Socket Inteface via CIP Generic Messaging.

As for the IAI controller, just as for pretty much every available robotic controller, the technical documentation is available only for registered users; try contacting them and find out if there is an available Ethernet Object Structure Manual.

What is the Difference between Generic Messaging and Explicit Messaging?

Will the Ethernet Object Structure Manual tell me if they will communicate via CPI Generic Messaging? Is That Why I need That?

The data that will be transferred is time critical Needs to send data in less then 1/sec.
Thanks
~Ryan~

Generic is a type of Explicit Messaging
They will communicate; the Ethernet Object Structure will give you an idea of where to route the messaging to/from depending of the intended functionality.
You could MSG Read/Write data in less than 1 second, however, there is no built-in mechanism to ensure consistency and accuracy of the data transfer the way cyclic (I/O) connections are implemented.