Mitsubishi A2USHCPU-S1 and memory cassette

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have an A2USHCPU-S1 CPU with an A2SNMCA-30KE memory cassette. From the manual I've downloaded, it seems that the CPU is overwritten with the memory cassette's contents at every start. Can anyone confirm?

Also, what is the function of the L.CLR CPU keyswitch position?

This thread stems from trying to get a tube bender running. We're a used machinery merchant.

The machine's manufacturer's US agents have advised me to reload the PLC program from the EEPROM. I've looked at all the menu options and cannot see how to do it. Is anyone able to advise on how to achieve it? I'm using GX Developer v8.102G.

First of all what is the problem, you have not stated why you need to read the program from the eprom is the PLC in stop or error ?.

Hi Parky.

The machine is controlled by a Windows 2000 PC which talks to the PLC over serial comms. There's one issue of the PC's machine control software crashing when it starts if the comms cable is plugged in and there are a couple of operations (at least) on the operator interface (selecting inches rather than mm and trying to go to manual mode) that also cause the software to crash.

They think the PLC program or some values within it may have been corrupted and want to get it back to its as-shipped state. I assume this is from experience of similar problems on these machines.

There's also some chatter of perhaps upgrading the PC's OS to something a little less prehistoric although, at my age, Windows 2000 still seems pretty modern :)

Are you able to guide me on how to get the EEPROM's contents loaded into the PLC?

That is a bug in that control software, whether it is a SCADA, HMI or whatever.

Even if you update the OS, if the same software is used, it will still crash.

Furthermore, if that software is 16-bit, it will no longer work on modern versions of Windows. In XP, 16-bit programs still ran with some difficulties, but in w7 or newer they do not run

The upgrade of the OS is not to correct the problem directly but to more easily allow the support guy to get online remotely to diagnose the problem.

In those years most automation software was 16-bit.

The first thing you have to check is that this software works on Windows 11 because if it is 16-bit it will not work.

I suggest you go on-line when the fault occurs (assume possibly fault light blinking) then diganose the plc & it will show the error, you can then select go to error & show you the offending code. there are a few possibilities.
1. An input has been programmed as a run input & perhaps e-stop or other operation is causing ther input to go off stopping the PLC.
2. A divide by zero error, common if there are some maths that use Data memories that have either been zeroed i.e. HMI (PC) has written a zero to a memory that is used in some maths.
3. Some data that again is either 0 or perhaps a silly value causing either an indirect addressing outside of the permitted range.
4. An output that has a short on it so when the output is energised it pulls down the PSU causing the plc to crash.
if you could get a copy of the code & zip it up & post it. (could be too large if you are not a member) if so you could send a PM with email address & we could reply & you could send it via email.
As for the rom I believe it copies it on bootup however, if the battery has at sometime gone flat any data held may have been lost or corrupted, re-loading from the rom would probably not restore the values anyway.

In those years most automation software was 16-bit.

The first thing you have to check is that this software works on Windows 11 because if it is 16-bit it will not work.

The manufacturer's have indeed ruled out the possibility of just upgrading the OS and say that a complete new PC would likely be necessary with updated application software.

I suggest you go on-line when the fault occurs (assume possibly fault light blinking) then diganose the plc & it will show the error, you can then select go to error & show you the offending code. there are a few possibilities.
1. An input has been programmed as a run input & perhaps e-stop or other operation is causing ther input to go off stopping the PLC.
2. A divide by zero error, common if there are some maths that use Data memories that have either been zeroed i.e. HMI (PC) has written a zero to a memory that is used in some maths.
3. Some data that again is either 0 or perhaps a silly value causing either an indirect addressing outside of the permitted range.
4. An output that has a short on it so when the output is energised it pulls down the PSU causing the plc to crash.
if you could get a copy of the code & zip it up & post it. (could be too large if you are not a member) if so you could send a PM with email address & we could reply & you could send it via email.
As for the rom I believe it copies it on bootup however, if the battery has at sometime gone flat any data held may have been lost or corrupted, re-loading from the rom would probably not restore the values anyway.

I may not have explained very well. The PLC (CPU) has no errors. It's the PC that is running the operator interface and in overall control that is crashing and it's something about its interactions with the PLC that's causing it to crash.

The manufacturer (via their US agent) gave me a procedure to reload the PLC from its EEPROM.

For the benefit of those following, looking for a solution to a similar problem:

1. Power down PLC
2. Remove EEPROM
3. Power up PLC
4. Clear PLC Memory using GX Developer (make sure you have a backup first)
5. Power down PLC
6. Reinstall EEPROM
7. Power up PLC and it should reload from EEPROM

Now, I suspect that the action of reloading from EEPROM is dependent on some other settings, but I'm afraid I don't know what they are.

Anyway, I followed the procedure and the PC is no longer crashing. So that's a big step in the right direction. I'm still getting no motion but I noticed that all of the settings on the two System Parameter pages of the PC's application software are set to the same value, 0.01. The agent is working to get me a copy of the correct parameters for the machine.

I'm hopeful that we're close to a full resolution. My main concern now is that the two PLC positioning modules, A1SD75P3-S3 and A1SD75P2-S3 are displaying "ERR" and all five of their axis LEDs are flashing. Any insight into that would be gratefully received.

I would suspect that they have lost the settings perhaps because the system has been off for a long time, however, if they have non volatile memory i.e. flash then other possibilities are that setting data from the plc is not correct, this can happen if the plc battery has drained, someone perhaps replaced it but not configured the data. I helped someone last year who had the later version Mitsubishi (Q) series, this had a number of motion cards, the main problem was to do with divide by 0 as some setpoints were zero this was due to some code that zeroed virtually all the "R" registers, we believe this was a deliberate attempt as there were conflicts between the customer & the supplier of the bespoke system who actually walked away from the system, I did the diagnostics via a remote connection, I did notice from a quick video that the servo cards were flashing but at that point ignored them due to the PLC problem, I only diagnosed the problems with a number of registers that were causing the plc error, I informed the customer they would have to play with the values to get the servos working correctly apparently they did this so the servos were ok.
This is a major problem with second hand equipment, often slod without drawings or backups of vital software or settings, often equipment that is too old to be sourced easily or the original manufacturer has gone out of business, bespoke PC programs controlling plc's again is problematic, if the software is too old to be installed on modern operating systems then again sourcing old pc's or OS can be difficult, I would certainly not buy second hand equipment without all relevant manuals & software or with components that have been discontinued for many years.

It turns out we just needed to go through a calibration routine, make a few measurements and enter a few system parameters. All the positioning modules came to life and after we'd figured out the part programming methodology, auto-cycles ensued.

I agree with all your comments re second-hand machinery. We sell machines as-is or with full refurb including new control system or anywhere inbetween. It all depends on the customer's requirements and the depth of their pockets. If they buy as-is, they buy the risk along with the machine. We do our best to support them but there's only so much we can do. Caveat emptor! I can say that (as a regular employee) it appears to be a vastly profitable business model and the company is doing really well, with many returning customers.

As we say in the motherland, "you pays your money and you takes your choice" :)

Yep system parameters probably the main cause of the stop, as I stated, a similar situation was on the one I debugged remotely, just set some values in some of the settings, these were abitary as I was remotely connected & never seen the plant, it worked however, the settings were not correct, the guy on the other end set the final values to get the servos to move to the correct positions as as you had once set the servo drive boards went out of error.
I have been involved in many second hand purchases, some were simple problems usually wiring, occasionally needed some values changing or teaching of drive positions etc. but many required a complete upgrade as the electrical hardware was too old. One thing to remember though, second hand machinery may not meet current safety standards & I suspect that the selling or using that type of equipment & a person is injured or worse may instigate a major investigation possibly leading to prosecution (no idea which company would be liable i.e. seller or buyer) by the relevant safety inspectorate in that country. Not come across any instances myself but I would always inform the customer if the machinery did not meet the requirement, in saying that, it is common knowlege that any modifications to a machine must ensure the relevant standards are met, if you modify one part of a machine the un-modified parts must meet current legislation I believe.